Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I wouldn't have thought so, we make roads just the same way they do. We use the same formula to mix and lay the asphalt, so why would they change them?
Just with respect to this ... we don't have the same ashpalt, you read a lot about how cars first driven in Japan or Europe have different NVH characteristics here for example.
And don't countries where it gets properly cold use more concrete, because it lasts longer & copes a bit better with freezing?

Although my gut-feel belief, regarding differences in tyres with the same model-name, is that I think it's more likely to be due to cost-cutting where they think they can get away with it.

To be honest I'm always suspicious of any tyre test. They are always hosted by one of the biggies, which it needs to be to get the facilities for wet weather testing. Somehow the host company always does well... funny that. Bias, sponsorship, or just a tyre that is good at that track, as it was developed there??
The ones I've read in Australian magazines using Australian products have usually been run by the magazine, with tyres usually provided by one or more of the multi-brand chains (eg. Jax).

My problem with them has more been the fact that tyres seem to perform differently, relatively, in different sizes & as fitted to different cars. So Tyre A might be better than Tyre B as tested on a VF SS, but that doesn't mean B wouldn't perform better than A if I fit them to my 40yo Volvo.

Last edited:

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Just with respect to this ... we don't have the same ashpalt, you read a lot about how cars first driven in Japan or Europe have different NVH characteristics here for example.
And don't countries where it gets properly cold use more concrete, because it lasts longer & copes a bit better with freezing?

They do make different grades for different situations, yes. But they don't change the formula too much as it's already tried,tested and proven. For example most highways have a grade that will let the water run through the surface, more so than over it, as it's safer to deal with a larger volume of water and reduces aquaplaning at high speeds. Common suburban streets get a different grade because they have a crown in the road to make the water run to the sides.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They do make different grades for different situations, yes. But they don't change the formula too much as it's already tried,tested and proven. For example most highways have a grade that will let the water run through the surface, more so than over it, as it's safer to deal with a larger volume of water and reduces aquaplaning at high speeds. Common suburban streets get a different grade because they have a crown in the road to make the water run to the sides.

Tyre companies are always changing formulas, even within the same country the tyre is being exported to....That's how improvements are made in tyre quality. It's usually done every 2 or 3 years.

Water dispursion properties....Don't know what dribble you're carrying on there....Tyre manufacturers don't have a specific tyre for surburban wet weather driving and another for high speed wet weather driving.

The better tyre manufacturers actually send test tyres to this country, which get put on certain cars for nicks and are tested in real world conditions, not set up conditions, that get reported on in magazines and online. From these tests, the tyres are then sent back to the manufacturers country of origion (remembering some tyre manufacturers have multiple plants over the globe) and checked over thoroughly for quality purposes and to help with the development of there next range of tyres

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I wouldn't have thought so, we make roads just the same way they do. We use the same formula to mix and lay the asphalt, so why would they change them?

As an old engineer that use to design roads and supervise their construction in rural and urban Australia I can say that statement is far and away not even close to true.

The geological properties of the stone used in Australia for road aggregate is very different to that of the Northern Hemisphere, it is considered a younger and softer stone and it wears easily and the way it is applied is important to make the most of what we have to work with.

For the metropolitan centres and larger regional areas Hotmix is used and in the rural areas a spray seal over aggregate and with both and in particular in rural conditions often other materials are impregnated into the spray emulsion.

Rubber was once a popular addition to bitumen emulsion.

I could go on and on but I'm boring myself let alone everyone else.

I don't know what you mean by run through the surface but water is the biggest killer of Australian roads followed by heavy vehicles such as overloaded trucks.

Grading the road to move water quickly from the surface it critical to vehicle safety and road life.

If the protective sealed surface cracks or breaks the death of the road base from water penetration is quick and lethal so move that water as fast as you can without compromising car control.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Rubber was once a popular addition to bitumen emulsion.

I know of a couple of new roads around Adelaide that have used a rubber compound as a trial for road surfaces.....1 in particular sticks out as being a high truck traffic road.....Been laid for about 5 or 6 years now (possibly more) and so far it seems to be holding up well, with no signs of cracking or dissintergrating.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Are you sure about that? The asphalt we use on airports is certanly different. I would expect roads are too. Surely tyres designed for our hot dry climate are different to those designed for a cooler Euro climate?

gr33nbastad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline -- VX2 Calais LS1 A4
I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tyres at about 3000ks from new. It was like night and day compared to the stock Bridgestones, downside was I could never break traction, they were too good! I am now at 21,000ks on them and they are still 7mm rear, 8mm front. Also, my front tyres are made in France and the rears made in the USA.

gr33nbastad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline -- VX2 Calais LS1 A4
I know of a couple of new roads around Adelaide that have used a rubber compound as a trial for road surfaces.....1 in particular sticks out as being a high truck traffic road.....Been laid for about 5 or 6 years now (possibly more) and so far it seems to be holding up well, with no signs of cracking or dissintergrating.
Is it flat, straight , and over a quarter mile long?

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Im wanting to put on the original Bridgestone Potenza RE050A on the redline 245/40R19 98 Y, but the shop is recommend me I go the Potenza RE003 245/40R19 98 W which has a different speed rating 270vs300. Any had RE003 fitted and happy?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Im wanting to put on the original Bridgestone Potenza RE050A on the redline 245/40R19 98 Y, but the shop is recommend me I go the Potenza RE003 245/40R19 98 W which has a different speed rating 270vs300. Any had RE003 fitted and happy?

Have you still got the Redline? I have the 270 speed rating on my fronts now. I don't get that speed up so shouldn't be a problem. The W's on the front have a different tread pattern (slightly) and seem to have more rubber on the road.