Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline SSV Vs Gen-F GTS

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Whatever you decide, don't forget to factor in the running costs, like insurance for example. I'd also wait until the 2016 models are here. Redline will get the L99 or LS3, but the big question is whether the R8 might pick up some of the GTS hardware in the next upgrade cycle. Might be worth waiting to see.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Yeah ... looking back at the original post, it'd take more than what's been posted there to decide whether the OP is likely to think it's worth paying the extra money for a GTS. :)

I reckon you'll never answer the question without a test-drive. And it must be possible to test-drive a chip+tune+exhaust car without too much trouble; the dealer we bought our Redline from sells new Walkinshaw-kitted cars, for example.
And such a test drive might answer the question completely. Could be a case that the GTS doesn't offer enough value-for-money to justify from a purely financial POV, but dammit, you want one anyway ... if it was all just about financials you'd be in a Kia Rio. :D

Kia Rio - wow, that is a scary thought.
I suspect for the street, a Redline with $5K of well spent mods would be a good value alternative to a GTS.
It will stop, steer and go pretty well, and all for about $60K.

It wont necessarily have the street cred or outright power, but 3 years on when they have both depreciated about 50%, you have only lost $30K rather than $50K.
But that me, and plenty will say go the GTS and screw what is cost you.

The OP cant really lose either way.

H4Z4RD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6 Sedan
Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm always the guy who buys something & wishes he just put the extra cash in for the next best thing. Don't really want to drop $60 on a Redline, have it for 6 months & regret not getting the HSV. But by the same token though I'm not sure dropping $100k on a GTS would have $40k more value for me than a redline.

I'm just gonna wait until I'm ready to do a deal & I'll go test drive a Redline, Clubby & GTS and make my decision. I'm looking at this being a 10 year car & wanna make the right choice!

H4Z4RD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6 Sedan
I've had many cars over the years and spent loads of money improving drivelines to handle power output, upgrading brakes and suspension the list goes on and the bill for just the parts in this regard is huge.

The GTS is a no brainer, all has been done for you already, heavy duty gearbox, tail shaft, diff, half shafts, bigger brakes, MRC, diff cooling, torque vectoring etc
Add to that it is supercharged and legally supercharged you wont get in trouble.
The exhaust is 2.5" standard it works fine and sounds great...no real need to go 0.5" bigger...what for?

Stock form with a tune only they put down 350rwkw on average thats what has been put out now from multiple shops.

Fuel economy goes to **** if you put your foot in it, but i have seen normal driving anywhere from 11.5-13L per 100km

If you are looking at used ones try and get a 2014 build with a build number above 1250 reason being is somewhere before this number they had the spring loaded isolator in the supercharger which needs to be replaced with the solid ones, all builds above 1250 have the solid one.

The auto is faster than the manual and it also drives exactly like a manual car down shifting early itself if you are giving it a spirited drive, it will hold 3rd gear at 100km/h if you back off to 0% throttle, when you hit about 70-80km/h when you stomp on the brakes it will then shift into 2nd and help slow the car down...just like you would in a manual car.

You definitely need to install a catch can from day 1 the blower likes to suck the crank case pressure out.

I've driven an SSV redline and a Calais and a VF R8...none compare to the GTS, it's better because it's way ahead.
In stock form I have raced a few ricers and none have even come close to me, in the quarter mile a mate of mine has run 12.2 at 122mph stock...it is a heavy car off the line but it moves once it is moving.

The reasons you've given are pretty much the reason I'm leaning towards the GTS. I have owned & ridden superbikes & nothing under 500hp really gives you the kick like a really fast bike does, a GTS though, that may be a bit of a different story.

I'd prefer to just spend the cash once, no fiddling around, just get the final product I want & move on.

Thanks for your help mate.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Can you wait 2 months?
If our wagon hadn't actually been the better-half's car (she doesn't care about juicy L99 goodness but we both cared about Regal Peacock), I've had waited.
Anything already built will instantly be discounted, so if a Gen-F GTS floats your boat once the Gen-FII (or whatever they'll call it) is released ...

... this isn't so much a suggestion as a gauge of other people's patience, in theory I'd have waited but I don't know what would have happened in reality. :)

H4Z4RD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6 Sedan
Can you wait 2 months?
If our wagon hadn't actually been the better-half's car (she doesn't care about juicy L99 goodness but we both cared about Regal Peacock), I've had waited.
Anything already built will instantly be discounted, so if a Gen-F GTS floats your boat once the Gen-FII (or whatever they'll call it) is released ...

Yup, I'm in no rush at all, happy to wait for the right car this time.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
You'll see crazy discounts from October to the end of the year. To move series 1 stock and to move 2015 built series 2.
It's going to be a buyer's market for sure and the new mustang launches around then too, taking some of the V8 market but more importantly the press hype.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
GMH have put in a requisition for 300 LT4 motors, seems the limited edition Gen F GTS series 2 will have some extra ponies.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So Wikipedia says LT4 is a modified-for-more-power LS9?
Where an LS9 is mostly a modified LSA (current GTS engine) but with more boost & a bigger blower?
While that sounds fairly animal, and probably a 50kW increase looking at power output differences on Wikipedia, I don't think the 50kW increase will embiggen a GTS as much as a 43kW increase will embiggen a Redline; GTS would already be at traction limits on most roads, so you'd barely notice the difference if not at the track ... maybe?

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
The Z06 Corvette which houses the LT4 engine hits 0-100 km h in 2.9 seconds and does the quarter in 10.95 from stock... it will make a difference. Huge difference.