Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Safety Recall] Electric Power Steering — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice

M

mwb235

My 3/14 VF is in the list. Just rang the local dealer$hip service dept, they checked my VIN and said "There is nothing wrong with your VIN at the moment. You need to wait until you are notified to contact us to arrange a booking".

So if there is "nothing wrong with my VIN at the moment" why did i get the first letter? D'oh!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ all VF's run the risk of EPS failure so its wrong to say there is nothing wrong with yours at the moment.

It seems Holden is prioritising VINS based on some method probably related to the cheapness of them simply dribbling repair kits out to dealers.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
My 6/14 VF is being done this Friday at Hamilton Holden, Adelaide. Hopefully, there shouldn't be any problems...... :rolleyes:

[Update] All sweet. I asked exactly what the recall entails, and was told they remove the steering rack from the car, replace the electric motor on it, and refit the rack. As there is no need to dismantle ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc. the steering geometry and hence wheel alignment should not be affected. And so it proved to be -- the car felt the same afterwards, with neutral steering (no pulling to one side) and the steering wheel aligned correctly. They even put the car through the car wash for me, and didn't leave any smudgy fingerprints on the alcantara trim. I'm a happy camper!

Last edited:
M

mwb235

I finally got my letter today. Will call the dealer$hip and book in tomorrow.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I finally got my letter today. Will call the dealer$hip and book in tomorrow.
Got my 2 letters as well. Have booked the first car in for next week.
Fingers crossed I will get some information when I probe them about the actual work done.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Had mine done 2 weeks ago and they said they just unbolt the old one and bolt the new one in and you dont need a wheel alignment afterwards but for 70 bucks i had one done anyway.

They had the vehicle for about 4 hours.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Had mine done 2 weeks ago and they said they just unbolt the old one and bolt the new one in and you dont need a wheel alignment afterwards but for 70 bucks i had one done anyway.

They had the vehicle for about 4 hours.

Replaced a rack and don't need a wheel alignment? Talk about them shafting you.....I had a spare rack here and replaced the rack ends and tierod ends on it....From there I removed my old rack and adjusted the tie rods on the new rack so the distance was identical to the old rack.

When I aligned it, I was 2MM total out and I do this stuff for a living....So going by this, you had a completely new rack fitted, which would put your toe all over the shop, makes me wonder how they can justify their reasoning?

Personally I'd be going back to the dealer and asking for the money you outlayed on the necessary wheel alignment

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Replaced a rack and don't need a wheel alignment? Talk about them shafting you.....I had a spare rack here and replaced the rack ends and tierod ends on it....From there I removed my old rack and adjusted the tie rods on the new rack so the distance was identical to the old rack.

When I aligned it, I was 2MM total out and I do this stuff for a living....So going by this, you had a completely new rack fitted, which would put your toe all over the shop, makes me wonder how they can justify their reasoning?

Personally I'd be going back to the dealer and asking for the money you outlayed on the necessary wheel alignment

I don't think they remove the rack, just remove and replace the motor on the rack.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

I don't think they remove the rack, just remove and replace the motor on the rack.

lmoengnr is right all they did was replace the motor module not the whole rack.
according to them they dont actually touch anything that would change the alignment but i still wanted to get one anyway.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My alignment was rooted & needed doing anyway.
Plus dealer ... who knows how they may’ve screwed-up the alignment through incompetence?