Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandst4rm's VP Ute Resto Thread

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Was that subie radiator failure after 3 head gaskets or 5?
It was the original radiator as the end tank was brown, not black. It didn’t blow any head gaskets on my watch.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
UPDATE! :D

The transmission fell off the jack and nearly crushed my wrist while i was trying to get it back in, took me another fall and 3 hours to get it back in the car. THE DOG. is in.

How did it come out so smoothly I dunno ay...

Steering working great, located my cancelling cam and copper ring but the cancelling cam misses the bit of plastic that sticks out of the indicator somehow.

Found a bent pushrod???? don't know what cyl it was from, lost another so I grabbed 2 from a series 2 buick at u-pull
Heads reinstalled and sequenced (90nm/90degrees + 90 degrees again) with new gaskets and bolts.
One of the gaskets split downwards from the front drivers block dowel but not into any other channels so hopefully no leak on cylinder 2...
obviously a poor hole size from the gasket makers.

Intake reinstalled (new intake beautiful condition $50 with injectors) and rockers all on. Scored the passenger side alloy rocker cover from a u-pull VN series 1 so i am hoping to go get the other tomorrow since I didn't have a ratchet at the time and only brought my impact gun.
So obviously it didn't fit on the last rocker bolt next to the brake booster. Lost my 3/8th socket as well so need to look for that tomorrow on the same car.

Screenshot (2944).png

Tomorrow will consist of new injector hose because i had a fuel leak last time, bunnings trip for a 3 piece (t piece) pipe connector to combine the breather from the alloy rocker cover and the series 2 PCV hose into the intake, hooking hoses and wires back up and getting the other rocker cover.
Then I'll comp test it to see if we are all good and after that we are just waiting on the radiator and she's good to go!

And putting back the tailshaft. arms will be hurting on that one above my head for 15 minutes with those stupid rounding 15mm locking nuts and no ratchet.

New windscreen is in and looking mint.

EDIT: engine turns over perfectly by ratchet

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also my stupid ass figured out when I got the gaskets; VRS is not the brand its just for Valve Regrind Set.
The gasket brand was Autoflex

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The transmission fell off the jack and nearly crushed my wrist while i was trying to get it back in, took me another fall and 3 hours to get it back in the car. THE DOG. is in.
Thats why I leave that for the professionals. Got my SSV booked in for Monday and Tuesday to get the clutch, flywheel. slave cylinder, rear main, engine mounts, gearbox mount and shifter mech done. Not going to risk doing that myself.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dog is running.
Trans service done and engine finished, first start it stalled from the vacuum line being off for the MAP sensor, back on and runs decent.
Screenshot_20230514_203138_Discord~2.jpg

Still a bit rough though even with all cylinders now at 148psi comp test.

Thinking it's cause I don't have the drivers rear header tight to the head; on account that I need a new gasket between cylinder 6 and 2/4 headers where they merge. So I need to move it around to fit the gasket.

So the y pipe isn't on and the o2 sensor is getting a slightly different value?

Or the second hand injectors are a bit dirty idk we will see.

Still waiting on the new radiator.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update no pictures

had the flu today or something closely related to... hopefully not tomorrow too!

New radiator has been fitted, coolant added and bled.
Had a trans oil leak at the stupid little flexible hose near the steering rack - let me tell ya.

I have fkin HAD IT with those steel lines! I ripped them out with a level of fury never before seen on this planet and rerouted with fully flexible trans cooler hose; all the way from trans to the radiator. They now run up the back of the bellhousing and over the top of the intake. (right between the fuel line and the PCV hose for S2) Which will make them alot cooler than running through steel within 2cm of the extractors.

No leaks now! - Running mint - No engine lights - No more oil around the sump (crankcase breather now working) - New trans fluid and filter, New battery!

All lights work apart from the driver's front indicator which I will need to look at

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That VP will remind you at a later date about those hoses. It will do it at the most inconvenient time as well.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thats why I leave that for the professionals. Got my SSV booked in for Monday and Tuesday to get the clutch, flywheel. slave cylinder, rear main, engine mounts, gearbox mount and shifter mech done. Not going to risk doing that myself.
Or buy a proper transmission jack (or jack adapter) that straps the trans down so it can’t fall off the jack and injure anyone…

Better still if you have the space to do a @losh1971 and get a hoist and it ancillary bits :p

Trying to fix thing with a missing finger or borked wrist isn’t great going forward so I’m glad @Sandst4rm is ok… Keep the posts coming :cool: