Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second hand VXR

AlexWA

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Hello. I'm interested in purchasing a Holden Commodore 2019 VXR. However, after researching I've been getting mixed reviews about the reliability and possible issues faced by this vehicle.
I have a few questions, if any current VXR owners can vouch:

- Does it have wireless Apple Carplay?
- Do the side mirrors fold when the vehicle is locked?
- Are parts hard to come by? Are they expensive?
- What current issues have you faced with your current model? (KMs, Year. I've heard the V6 models have faced transmission problems. Also go into detail about minor issues!)
- How is the car overall?
- How many kilometres is too much when purchasing a second hand, and what is too expensive?
TIA,
Alex.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
  1. Not as standard, but there is a thread on this forum somewhere about after an market mod
  2. Not automatically, you either press the button the drivers door or press and hold the lock button on the remote to fold them in
  3. Replaced the rear drive unit under warranty, and a rear seat belt but that was covered under insurance and that part is not unique to the ZB
  4. There are plenty of threads about ZB issues on this forum, they have all the detail you need
  5. I have a dissenting opinion but overall I think the VXR is a great piece of kit, in particular at it's price point. Nothing else comes remotely close for value for money in terms of standard equipment
  6. I have no idea what the second hand car market is like in WA. Over here I see cars on sale with anything between 35k and 150k on the odometer. My advice is to get any prospective vehicle inspected by a mechanic you trust before you hand over your cash regardless of its mileage

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
First off I have an RSV which is much the same as the VXR but without the 20" wheels, sun roof, LED lights, VXR mode, active cruise control and one or two other comfort features. Running gear wise they are the same.

The wireless function can be added easily with a dongle. I have Android Auto, there is an Apple equivalent.

The mirrors can be folded by using the remote key fob, but they are not automatic when locking the car. The car locks automatically when you walk away with the fob in your pocket.

I haven't found parts hard to get or expensive.

I had a rear diff leak which was fixed under warranty and a blind side alert light fail on the left door mirror.

I'm not aware of any transmission issues other than some cars having swarf from the manufacturing process cause issues which were overed by warranty. The nine speed is really nice transmission.

How is the car overall? If they were still available new I'd buy another. In fact if I had the misfortune to have mine written off I'd more than likely buy a second hand one. There’s a guy on the Buick forum with a 2 litre turbo four Buick equivalent of the Commodore who has just done exactly that.

How many k's is too much and how many dollars too much? They're very hard questions to answer. Lower k's are generally always better. Have a look around to see what's on the market and compare k's to dollars asked, then make up your mind as to what is a good k to $ ratio.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
mines an rs v6 and gets flogged daily, sitting on 170,000km and the only issue has been an aircon leak which cost around 400 to fix.
it has been a great vehicle for the last few years and its a far better choice over the ve/vf v6 variants, yeah its an imported insignia but it shits on the locally assembled equivalent offering.

AlexWA

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
mines an rs v6 and gets flogged daily, sitting on 170,000km and the only issue has been an aircon leak which cost around 400 to fix.
it has been a great vehicle for the last few years and its a far better choice over the ve/vf v6 variants, yeah its an imported insignia but it shits on the locally assembled equivalent offering.
Did you ever have the rear differential problems or anything replaced under warranty?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Did you ever have the rear differential problems or anything replaced under warranty?
nope, only issue has been the ac hose leaking on a join.

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore,77 Charger,Cagiva Raptor 1000
Hello. I'm interested in purchasing a Holden Commodore 2019 VXR. However, after researching I've been getting mixed reviews about the reliability and possible issues faced by this vehicle.
I have a few questions, if any current VXR owners can vouch:

- Does it have wireless Apple Carplay?
- Do the side mirrors fold when the vehicle is locked?
- Are parts hard to come by? Are they expensive?
- What current issues have you faced with your current model? (KMs, Year. I've heard the V6 models have faced transmission problems. Also go into detail about minor issues!)
- How is the car overall?
- How many kilometres is too much when purchasing a second hand, and what is too expensive?
TIA,
Alex.
Your not the only one interested in the zb commy. I'm seriously considering the V6 AWD wagon as my next drive. Great economy and power with all wheel grip. Auction prices seem like a bargain and I don't mind if they become a well kept secret.

AlexWA

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Your not the only one interested in the zb commy. I'm seriously considering the V6 AWD wagon as my next drive. Great economy and power with all wheel grip. Auction prices seem like a bargain and I don't mind if they become a well kept secret.
I'm totally onboard with the car, it's only the supposed issues that people have reported that give me hesitance. I saw an owner of the VXR report that their tires only last 7,000km - 12,000km.