Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second hand VXR

thx113

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
My vxr has done about 45k.
The original michilen tyres were replaced at 34k. To get 10k out of the factory michilen tyres suggests either extreme roads or perhaps very hard driving.
I put on continental maxcontact 6 tyres. I am really happy with these tyres.
I can't comment on.parts pricing and availability as I've not had to buy any.
As far as ownership overall, it's a great car. Better than any of the earlier commodores. It is comfortable, handles well, lots of safety features, and the nine speed gearbox is very smooth.
If you can pick one up in good condition, for a reasonable price, go for it.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I'm totally onboard with the car, it's only the supposed issues that people have reported that give me hesitance. I saw an owner of the VXR report that their tires only last 7,000km - 12,000km.
If you drove the car to it's limits on windy roads you might end up with tyres that wear out like this. One reviewer stated that in his opinion it would see off a WRX. These cars can go pretty damn well. I'd say on the right roads they'd leave a VE/VF V8 behind.

My RSV did about 54,000 on the original Continentals, I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S which have done about 38,000 and look like they'll go about the same distance as the Continental's.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I'm totally onboard with the car, it's only the supposed issues that people have reported that give me hesitance. I saw an owner of the VXR report that their tires only last 7,000km - 12,000km.

That might have been me. The wheels were way out of alignment and I didn't notice till it was too late.

AlexWA

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
My vxr has done about 45k.
The original michilen tyres were replaced at 34k. To get 10k out of the factory michilen tyres suggests either extreme roads or perhaps very hard driving.
I put on continental maxcontact 6 tyres. I am really happy with these tyres.
I can't comment on.parts pricing and availability as I've not had to buy any.
As far as ownership overall, it's a great car. Better than any of the earlier commodores. It is comfortable, handles well, lots of safety features, and the nine speed gearbox is very smooth.
If you can pick one up in good condition, for a reasonable price, go for it.
Is $29000/86,000km reasonable? Have you got any other gripes about the car?

thx113

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
The price is something you have to research and decide for yourself. Carsales is a good tool for looking at average pricing.

As for gripes, can't think of any off hand. Can think of lots of good things but nothing bad stands out. I've had it for more than three years now and only repair was battery replaced under warranty.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Is $29000/86,000km reasonable? Have you got any other gripes about the car?
I think you've made your mind up based on the positives you've been told. Apart from the inferences that it's not really a true Holden Commodore, and from what I've read and heard, it seems like a good car for the money. However, I do think $29,000 is probably $3,000 too much.