Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seeking v6 sedan transmission

MGNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore series 2
wondering the ball park figure im looking at to buy a reco'd or 2nd hand transmission as mine just blew 15 minutes ago.
love life

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Fully reconditioned ,they are around $2000.You can pick up second hand ones fairly cheap if you look around.The worst thing about getting a second hand one is you dont know what the box is really like until its installed.Also make sure the transmission you get is from the same model car as yours,as the VN/VP/VR and VS transmissions are all different from one another.The VR and VS transmissions get mixed up a lot because they look exactly the same,both electronic,except the VR has 12 pins in its wiring connector,the VS uses 13 pins.So the transmissions will bolt up to the engine no worries,but the wiring wont fit,and these boxes in the VR and VS are fully electronic so they need the proper wiring connections to work properly...

MGNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore series 2
thanks a lot brett, got any idea on how much a manual kit is?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Im not sure,but someone here will know.I wouldnt bother fitting a manual box unless it was fully reconditioned 6 speed.The 5 speed manual boxes dont seem to last very long,I know heaps of blokes who have converted to a manual gearbox and theres always something happening or going wrong with them, like clutch problems or annoying noises etc.The manual boxes are especially average if they are put behind a V8.If you drive like grandpa,they will last for ages,but if you are a "spirited" driver that likes to put the foot down,then the box itself, or clutch will fail in no time.I see it time and time again,Id prefer a manual box myself any day,but the way I drive my car,it just wouldnt last, so I stick to an auto for reliability.I drive it like a manual anyway.You can buy performance parts for these auto boxes fairly cheap from the USA,and it makes them pretty much bulletproof, for street use anyway..There will be 100 people on here who will say that the manual conversion is better blah,blah,blah, but I see way to many with problems ,so I think its not worth the time or money or all the dramas when it stuffs up.My auto has had a complete pizzling and its now done 150,000 km, and its still as good as the day it was fitted.I service it every 20,000 k's with a new filter and auto fluid to keep it happy.A lot of people dont bother servicing the auto transmission,and then they wonder why when it stuffs up.

Last edited:

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
For V6 look at under $1000 for parts for a manual conversion, can be as low as $600-$700 tho. Have a look here,

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/complete-vn-vr-manual-conversion-guide.76186

As for the complaints brett is mentioning, they dont last very long cause there 15-20 years old already and then they get thrashed some more. Got mine rebuilt when ive put them in both last and i drive hard. (both T5's). Ive had the same standard (not HD) clutch in the V6 for 3 years/30,000km+ and its still fine. Clutch fork rattle is what your talking about can can be fixed with 2 little bits of rubber from holden, even new clutches comes with instruction adn recomends to replace them.

If you talking about a getrag, i dont recomend them either. But cant comment on there noise/performance.

Im not going to say a manual conversion is 100x better, all depends how you like to drive? Up and down the main street in your local as fast as you can and the strip? Or sweeping country roads with lots of tight turns and track days?

MGNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore series 2
thanks guys.
i had my auto serviced twice last year (ive only had the car just over a year) and i dont thrash my car at all, i do like to flat it everynow and then but i know ill get the same result no matter how many times i do it so i dont really bother lol.
i am hunting out a conversion kit as we speak but the way i see it, my mate can convert my car for me, based on the price of the kit he will put his 500 bucks labour ontop of it. so im leaning towards the 1500-2000 dollar mark where if i get an auto reco put in ill be looking much the same price, manual seems the way for me, just need to find a kit worthy of purchasing.
and i am expecting further problems with the car whether i put in an auto or a manual so it doesnt really phase me.
i just want it back up and running to be perfectly honest and would seem like the better thing to do is to convert it while i got the perfect oppurtunity to do so.

and yeah i drive 3.1kms to work and back every day, id easily do less than 20ks most days haha so shes pretty well looked after!
and cheers for the link mischa ill definitely suss it out