Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized lifter in LS3

klm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS A6
Hi all, I took my SS in to the mechanic after my check engine light came on as well as the 'service ESP' warning. Just had a call saying one of my lifters is seized and it's going to cost upwards of $7k to fix. Has anybody had any experience with this? Did it cost this much to get done? Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Ring around and get a few qoutes. Might as well get a quote for a cam/lifters/tune, might be cheaper.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Lots more background needed.

Is the vehicle bog standard or has it been crammed? Has the vehicle been maintained according to factory maintenance schedule with records kept (if not dealer serviced)? was the vehicle bought at a new/used car dealer of purchased privately?

Once this is known, then the question is why did the lifter seize? what was the root cause?

VF2’s started selling September 2015 so it’s not as if we are talking about a 20 year old car that has done almost 1/2 a million kms. And even if it was 20 years old with lots of k’s, a well maintained vehicle shouldn’t see a seized lifter during its life or an issue with any other life of vehicle components.

Really, if the vehicle has been correctly maintained according to the manufacturers service schedule, there is zero reason for the lifter to have seize. So it must be lack of service, incorrect oil being used or some latent defect that caused the issue. As such, if it’s not the 1st two (owner abuse issues) and you bought the car from a dealer, I’d be pushing for an ACL statutory warranty repair

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've often thought the LS designation should stand for Lifters Suck. Has it done some damage to the engine? Just replacing lifters should definitely not cost that, you can get a crate LS3 for five grand more. Otherwise it's about 4-5 hours and 600(ish) bucks in parts to swap them out

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Unless it's spun and seized in the lifter bore, tore up the lifter/cam lobe etc. Then it's an engine out job with a thorough clean before fitting new bits.

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
Sorry to hijack but I have a question. With the amount of lifter issues in the VF SS, is there anything you can do to avoid it happening (SELL UP) or is it just a ticking time bomb waiting to see if it happens to you or not?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fit a new cam/lifters with a tune. Use LS7 lifters.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Sorry to hijack but I have a question. With the amount of lifter issues in the VF SS, is there anything you can do to avoid it happening (SELL UP) or is it just a ticking time bomb waiting to see if it happens to you or not?

Regular oil changes with correct synth oil are good prevention...

No guarantees though

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I know my Mechanic has a LS1 with 300k on the clock and his LS3 in his VE HSV with about 180K i=on the clock are original. He says regular oil changes are the way to go with the GM engines.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
From VF Holden Recalls & Faults:

Hydraulic lifter failure
For GM's LS V8 engines, the hydraulic lifters may fail due to:
  • A failed plunger within the lifter itself. When the plunger fails, it cannot maintain oil pressure and remains in a collapsed state – the lifter therefore cannot take up valve lash such that a tapping noise is heard that increases in volume and frequency with engine speed;
  • The spring mechanism jamming – this is more common in older engines;
  • Inadequate lubrication of the lifter roller wheel surface causing friction on the lobe (this generally results in a squeaking noise);
  • Softened valve springs which also require replacement; or,
  • Worn lifter buckets.

A failed hydraulic lifter can bend the pushrods which can then fall out of the space between the rocker arm and the top of the lifter. Once a pushrod falls out of that space, it may cause broken rocker arms, broken valves, cracked heads, a damaged cam or total engine failure.

It is recommended that the lifters be replaced every 100,000 kilometres, though failure of the hydraulic lifters is more common in engines with high-lift camshafts because higher spring pressure are required to prevent valve float, putting extra pressure on the lifter. Replacing the lifters requires that the cylinder heads be removed such that new head gaskets and head bolts are required.