Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Social's Implusive 6L VZ Thunder

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Thanks mate I'm digging gloss black on the blue too, really grows on You, looks tops on your car too!

rlg999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
How do you work that out? Jest joined in 2005 and you in 2008...... maybe bone up on your math skills.

social called me a newbie that is who i was talking too!!!
AUG 2008 is before NOV 2008 not that i really give a #### its a car website

Last edited by a moderator:

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
So had the day Off today and thought I might as well start sussing out the hardlid leak I have between the rear window and the tray, water keeps getting in. So after looking through and pulling off the sail plane + sides, found heaps of gunk crime and leaves small enough to Block the runouts on each corner, so they were flushed. Then saw the the rubber 2 sided tape had come loose around the edge brackets so they were removed and resiliconed along with the hard lid brackets, hopefully this cures the problem.. Want that tray to b basically water tight.. Then it's sleepinable ;)

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
silicones gona be ur best friend with the tray mate hehehhehehe

VS HDT AERO

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS HSV Senator
I love the blue, looks friggen amazing! haha

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
silicones gona be ur best friend with the tray mate hehehhehehe

Haha yeah I kno mate, got a good feeling but the job I did on it, giving it 16hrs to dry to b sure it sets sweet

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
So had the day Off today and thought I might as well start sussing out the hardlid leak I have between the rear window and the tray, water keeps getting in. So after looking through and pulling off the sail plane + sides, found heaps of gunk crime and leaves small enough to Block the runouts on each corner, so they were flushed. Then saw the the rubber 2 sided tape had come loose around the edge brackets so they were removed and resiliconed along with the hard lid brackets, hopefully this cures the problem.. Want that tray to b basically water tight.. Then it's sleepinable ;)

hey mate if its still possible could you take a couple pics and show me were the runouts on the corners are? my tray has a terrible leak when it gets wet and it s***s me to tears cos it ends up smelling crap, and im the same as you i want to sleep soundly in mine haha

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Hey mate, did my best to word this and got a few photos here to give you a good idea.

Basically, my leaks were happening from the brackets, by getting under the actual bracket and dribbling in (green squares). The drain holes are to the far corner of each side of the rear window, they are circled in red, basically hide under the side sail plane were clogged with **** and the rubber lip right on the outside edge of the corner pads wasnt stuck down correctly so wasnt able to guide water away from the tray.

attachment.php

To get the sailpane off i pulled (caringly) on the top sailplane and it slowly clicked out, then by undoing a single screw on each side ( you will see it straigt away) i undid the side sail plans and gently pulled towards the back on the tray and outwards. These have 3 clips that will click out.

One each side there's like a corner pad thing (yellow diamond) they arent visable in the photo because i took them off but basically the water got underneath them and again into the corners of the tray, these are only held on by 2 sided tape and with the right pull (GENTLY!) lol, they will give and pull up. Once they were out, i cleaned off the excess sticky tape residue on each surface and loaded it up with transparent (clear) silicon and stuck everything back down. Took me a good half day to do it.

Easiest way to find your leaks is get a bottle of water once the lid is off and pour slowly behind the back window and watch where the water runs mate.

Simple process:
1- Pull pins on hardlid with gas shocks disengaged and put down lid somewhere
2 -remove middle sailplane
3- remove corner pads
4- remove side sailplanes
5- flush side holes and clean gunk out of everywhere and wipe down
6- pull rubber lip off of brackets
7- undo screw in top of each bracket and 4 hex screws and remove completely and clean off residue on surface and on bracket
8- silicon behind brackets near edges and stick back down and do up
9- sailplane sides back on and top sailplane back in
10- silicon barrier lines under the corner pads (figure out where water needs to be held), and on the side between the corner pad and the side sailplane
11- silicon down your rubber lip again and allow to dry

By using the silcion as a barrier for waterproofing it also is used (in my situation) as an adhesive for the rubber lip and corner pads. Everything is still drying and curing, giving it a decent amount of time and hopefully its all sweet. I expect SOME drops here and there to get in on heavy rain but nothing like what i had pouring in.

Hope that helps mate.
Social.

Heres some of the gunk i got out behind the side sailplane :/
attachment.php

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
An update to add to the waterproofing, completely secure!! Absolutely stocked!

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
thats a heaps good write up thanks heaps mate. its wet weather here again but the next sunny day off ill get someone to help me pull the lid off and have a crack at it.

good to hear it all works to, one more thing can i have your tub liner? :p haha