Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solved(I think!)ABS & Stability control error comes on while driving

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all,

I've had the ABS error and then subsequently the stability turns off happen twice now while driving over the last few months (not on start up). All is fine once I've turned the car off for 5 min or so, but not if I just pull over and restart.

There have been no suspension wheel or tyre changes. SSv 07 Ute.

I've googled and some say it can be battery, harness or sensors.

The only error code logged when I check via OBD2 is P0102 mass air flow (Its always had this, Has an intake which is mafless).

Any ideas? How do I tell how old the battery is? It doesn't act like a bad one yet. Thanks.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
a lot of people report that when the battery starts to die the vehicle throws errors and replacing the battery fixed the problem.

I would change the battery if it is over 5 years old

if its not the battery and you are driving and you get the "abs fault" and "stability disabled" messages flashing you could have a bad wheel sensor.

each wheel/bearing/hub has an abs sensor in it and if one starts to fail you will get the abs fault and stability disabled errors flash and then they will go away and come back at random until the sensor stuffs out totally and then the messages wont go away.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks, I kind of figured, but hoped with the specific info I gave someone might be able to narrow it down...

How would I go about checking the battery age? It has no date on it and I've owned the car for a year, so no idea when changed last. Thanks

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
not sure how you could check its age, it might be the factory battery that was sold with the car in 07.
you could goto a battery place and get them to test it.

I would just buy a new one then you will know the battery is good for the next 5+ years.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Battery will have a date on it of some description. You will probably need to pull it out and look closely to find it.
Note VE batteries in the boot have a small plastic tube on them to prevent flammable gas build up in the boot. Make sure you refit this securely after removing the battery for any reason.

Afterwords

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ute 3.6 Thunder
On your rear suspension, there is a wiring harness which connects both speed sensors to the main vehicle harness.
Somewhere in the harness is a beak, hence the intermittent problem.
From memory the harness isnt to expensive but fitment is somewhat difficult. There is many clips which connect it to the chassis.
And dont forget to clear the codes after fitting new one. Hope this helps

Hi all,

I've had the ABS error and then subsequently the stability turns off happen twice now while driving over the last few months (not on start up). All is fine once I've turned the car off for 5 min or so, but not if I just pull over and restart.

There have been no suspension wheel or tyre changes. SSv 07 Ute.

I've googled and some say it can be battery, harness or sensors.

The only error code logged when I check via OBD2 is P0102 mass air flow (Its always had this, Has an intake which is mafless).

Any ideas? How do I tell how old the battery is? It doesn't act like a bad one yet. Thanks.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did a lot of driving over the last few days and its been fine, the error code from last time was the maf sensor which is all that is in the history.

Next time it happens in pulling the battery out and checking it, then I'll go the harness route if necessary.

Does anyone know if the Ute battery has a vent tube? It's in the cabin so I'd assume so but I also thought I read that newer batteries don't have them.

Cheers

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Does anyone know if the Ute battery has a vent tube? It's in the cabin so I'd assume so but I also thought I read that newer batteries don't have them.

it should have a vent tube, lead acid batteries produce hydrogen gas so it has to be vented outside of the cabin.

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
My issue was the OBD adapter.

A el-cheapo ELM327 hooked up to Torque on Android.

My issue, for some reason, seemed to error about 5 KM after I filling it with fuel. But not every time which was frustrating. I changed the rear ABS harness and both the rear sensors but still it occurred. I never saw a fault code.

In the end, I was researching it on the interWebs and someone on a Prius (yep a Prius) forum and had similar issues. Pulled the ELM and I haven't had an issue. In fact I've proved it by hooking the ELM back after filling up and BINGO - ABS, Brake and Stability control errors.

My theory is the CAN bus gets unsettled by the ELM, probably something to do with 100% fuel being reported and just craps itself in spite. Need to stop being a tight arse and get a decent OBD but the good ones are $100 plus.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did a lot of driving over the last few days and its been fine, the error code from last time was the maf sensor which is all that is in the history.

Next time it happens in pulling the battery out and checking it, then I'll go the harness route if necessary.

Cheers

If you're not getting any error codes that relate too or match the symptoms, then it won't be the harness or the wheel speed sensors.
It's unlikely to be the battery but I can't rule it out 100%......your fault symptoms occur while driving, the role of the battery is for engine cranking and backup power when engine is not running....although the battery is charged and monitored while driving, electrical power is essentially sourced from the alternator. (this doesn't automatically mean your battery is healthy though)

Get Holden to check the ECU 'software version' and have it updated if an update for your VIN number is available.
Cost for software update is approx $130

That's what fixed my 'random' ABS/traction' control switching itself off and on.