Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SOLVED] VT ecotec about to explosively-self-disassemble

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
It does sound like the A/C compressor trying to engage and disengage, maybe when you moved the compressor forward something not right with the harness or wires...

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
get my best insulated pliers and pull the leads off the dfi one at a time while its running and see if you find a cylinder thats doing nothing?
that doesn't cost anything only hurts when you get a belt

Reactions: Lex

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Don't have access to a scan tool and no engine light.
bridge 5 &6 at the OBD plug, top count the top row 5 and 6 from the left then count the engine light flashers by turning the key to on not start. First flashes are tens with a break followed by fast flashing which is 1-9.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Also if you turn the A/C off the problem is virtually non-existent but that is not an option on 38-42 degree days.
So it does this without the serpentine belt and the AC on? AFAIK the car is supposed to increase the idle when the AC is on, so could lean towards fuel starvation again, but I didn't thnk it would count for that much.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
bridge 5 &6 at the OBD plug, top count the top row 5 and 6 from the left then count the engine light flashers by turning the key to on not start. First flashes are tens with a break followed by fast flashing which is 1-9.
Won't show a code other than 12 if there's no persistent engine light when the car is running.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
So it does this without the serpentine belt and the AC on? AFAIK the car is supposed to increase the idle when the AC is on, so could lean towards fuel starvation again, but I didn't thnk it would count for that much.
I'm not sure wtf it's doing tbh.
When i took the serpentine belt off and had the A/C on it still had the problem. Didn't try it with the A/C off.
Thinking i forgot a ground wire somewhere on the A/C or something.

Either that or the DFI/coils

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
When i took the serpentine belt off and had the A/C on it still had the problem. Didn't try it with the A/C off.
Thinking i forgot a ground wire somewhere on the A/C or something.

Either that or the DFI/coils
I'm sure if you go over what you removed you will work it out, I'm sure there a earth lead under the compressor, check the wiring.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
529ED24C-A462-429B-A270-D8D64931756F.jpeg

I swear right here around this bolt there was an earth but i fuckin CANNOT find it and the engine is red hot at the minute.

Dunno though cause I haven't seen any other wires free and that could just be a mark from the bolt when the compressor was in a slightly different spot.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I should have said the fuel lines run close to the back of the intake manifold.

If it's doing it with the A/C switched on and no serpentine belt then it's not related to the actual AC system or the compressor or compressor clutch, and if like you say it goes away somewhat with the A/C off then it's probably not the ignition. The idle speed when the aircon is on is apparently adjusted by the IAC valve which would still make me think starvation as it seems like it would be a detonation scenario, sure sounds like it from your video.

I swear right here around this bolt there was an earth but i fuckin CANNOT find it and the engine is red hot at the minute.
The earth is likely to be in that conduit at the bottom, still wouldn't hurt to try running some extras if you've got some wire around.
picture-2-jpg.153266

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its probably fuckin liberty selling me dog **** petrol or something