Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Soundstream cap drawing .5amp

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
A capacitor stores voltage and then releases it into the electrical system when the system voltage falls below a certain threshold.
If your running big amps and subs when the bass fires it draws a lot of power and lowers the voltage temporarily resulting in a light dimming effect.

So wraith your saying all the SPL shoot out guys with 20k systems are all wrong?

Correct in saying a cap in a standard car system is pretty useless however as the OP didn't exactly specify his system who knows if a cap is truly required.

Big SPL guys don't use caps, hence why they are useless. They rely on Battery's.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Well we must be involved in very different communities then cause everyone I know uses them.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
Well we must be involved in very different communities then cause everyone I know uses them.

I compete and learn from others here in WA. I also learn from other peoples builds on MEA (Mobile Electronics AU). Why would you want a cap, it draws even more power from the system to charge it, especially for SPL which is like a 15second burp. You would be better with a 100a/h+ battery with like 1000cca.

Last edited:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
What community is that?

From my electrical knowledge (electronics technician) I can see that a capacitor will REDUCE dimming headlights in a running car with music, but definitely not do anything useful in a SPL car that would use a constant tone (constant current draw) with the car off (no charging).

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
OK so im getting allot of differnt feedback the cap doesnt have a remote wire.
The system is 2 type r subs with a 1200wat soundstream monoblock and then another amp for the type r speakers in the doors Have done 127.7 in the spl test. It has 3 gauge wire and a near new battery with 500cca but not a optima or anything like that. Its a 8 farah cap

The cap did help with dimming lights but just has this problem whenever car is left or not drivn far

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
have u even done the Big 3 upgrade? as others have said u mayb wasting ur time on the caps unless theyr over 5-10 farads. on a small system the big 3 upgrade is usually all thats needed 2 fix the dimming along with making sure ur regulator and battery is up 2 scratch.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
A capacitor stores voltage and then releases it into the electrical system when the system voltage falls below a certain threshold.
If your running big amps and subs when the bass fires it draws a lot of power and lowers the voltage temporarily resulting in a light dimming effect.

So wraith your saying all the SPL shoot out guys with 20k systems are all wrong?

Correct in saying a cap in a standard car system is pretty useless however as the OP didn't exactly specify his system who knows if a cap is truly required.

Capacitors don't store voltage, it stores energy, eg. farads/joules/etc.

The only thing i havent changed is the alternator. Been wanting to put a big yellow top in the boot but havn't got around to it. Really all i want to know now is how to put the relay in, now i no you can do it.

Basically you put the relay in the cable between the cap and the battery. Have it grounded, and activated by the remote on cable to the amp.