Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Crewman suspension questions

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
I didn't see a dedicated Suspension section on the forum, so I hope I put this post in the right place. Been looking at future front suspension options for my Crewman when the time comes to buy all new parts. The two things I'm most interested in are ride comfort and options for different tire sizes.

I may end up running 18" OEM wheels off a VE Pontiac G8 Base model, in which case I'll probably use standard size tires. But I may also find the I like the look of the 19" OEM wheels off a VE Pontiac G8 GT. In that case I'd probably run the tire size that came on the G8, and that is 26.8" compared to the OE 25.6".

Looking at the OEM front strut assembly, the stock size tire barely clears the bottom spring perch. So there's no way a 26.8" is going to clear it. Coilovers seems like an easy alternative, and I know you can get different spring rates for them. But I have no idea how to determine what the correct spring rate is for comfort.

The VE front strut assembly looks like it would bolt right up to the Crewman hub and I know that both use the same upper strut mounts, but the ears for the brake line and VSS wiring are in a different place. So as you can see, lots of ideas. Just trying to figure out which one will work best.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I love your posts.

… hold my beer….

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, I’m back.

IMG_4600.jpeg

My Crewman.
19” VE SSV rims.
Centre bore machined to fit the VZ strut. (Actually this VZ has VY struts)
I use a long shank wheel nut to get more purchase further down the studs.

Indicators are darker than Holden did. They are the same as used on Opel Vectra in the UK.

IMG_4601.jpeg

Tyre size for you.

IMG_4599.jpeg

I don’t have dainty fingers. I can just fit my fingers in there. That is the biggest size you’ll fit on there.

18’s would be a bit more practical. I like these though. Either way the tyre size/diameter would be the same.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stick to the standard strut from the GTO’s over there. It’s all the same up the front.

Coil overs will not allow more space, I’ll post some stuff for that later.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rear springs can be lowered with blocks but I’d not go lower than 1 ½”. The drive shaft can rub on the fuel tank with a load in the tub.

I think it’s either @figjam or @ringfeder3 that has their Crewman/Cross6 dropped a bit lower?

The rears tyres have no clearance issues.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here’s the recent video by Geoff and Kurt from TorqHub.

They put their coilovers on the VH. You’ll see it’s pretty much the same strut. There really isn’t much too different on the Commodore struts over all the years. The end changed a bit with sealed bolt on hubs V the old spindle and bearings. The tops are really similar too.

So spring rates should be obtainable if you look to telling them it’s for a GTO.

When repalcing springs on the Crewman, they use the same springs as Monaro/GTO or a wagon or a sedan. So we are shopping the same part numbers as everyone else when it comes to front springs. The only differences we see are springs for V8 or V6 (lighter engine), you don’t have the V6’s in GTOs so happy days.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are guys with the AWD versions running 235/70/R16. The AWD wheels have a similar offset to VE. Sit out further than other VT-VZ.

The struts are different though. I’m yet to compare the two side by side. I suspect the AWD strut is longer between the hub and the spring seat.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I think it’s either @figjam or @ringfeder3 that has their Crewman/Cross6 dropped a bit lower?
No, not me.

I suspect the AWD strut is longer between the hub and the spring seat
I am using 245/40x18 on the Monaro (aka GTO) and the clearance to the spring seat is a lot less than your photo shows.
I am sure it is. Dunno by how much. 18"s fit with plenty of clearance.

But I did have a problem with seating the 17" Calais rims flush with the AWD hub, and suspect that the centre bore of the AWD wheels are a smidgen different in shape, which is not the problem for @OldSchoolGP .

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
So backspacing is not the gap I'm concerned about. I know the widest tire I can run is a 245, and even if I have to put a 5mm spacer on the hub to move the wheel out, not a big deal.

I was more concerned about the tire height because of the top of the tire rubbing on the spring seat. This is why I wondered if a VE Factory front strut setup has a higher mounted spring perch to clear the taller tire. It must do, and a coilover would eliminate that clearance issue. But, for longevity and comfort I do want to avoid coilovers if I can.

Rear seems easy enough. If I do lower it I'd probably put in some air bags to mantain ride height for when I tow or load up the tray with stuff.