Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Crewman suspension questions

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
No, not me.

I am using 245/40x18 on the Monaro (aka GTO) and the clearance to the spring seat is a lot less than your photo shows.
I am sure it is. Dunno by how much. 18"s fit with plenty of clearance.

But I did have a problem with seating the 17" Calais rims flush with the AWD hub, and suspect that the centre bore of the AWD wheels are a smidgen different in shape, which is not the problem for @OldSchoolGP .
Didn't think about the AWD front strut, but that could be an option. If anybody out there had measurements of one, I can compare to what I have over here.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Didn't think about the AWD front strut, but that could be an option. If anybody out there had measurements of one, I can compare to what I have over here.
I have two brand new ones in the garage.
I’ll get a measurement for you later today.

You would still be using GTO springs in it so that makes it easy to source.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maximum size/height on stock VZ strut

IMG_4612.jpeg
IMG_4611.jpeg
I can try to get a strut measure on a VE and tyre size comparison from my neighbours VE Calais.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMG_4616.jpeg

Adventra strut part for reference.

IMG_4615.jpeg

The metric measurement (correct units for measure) is precisely 220mm from the spring seat to centre of first bolt.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
The other thing that will determine things is what tire size the Adventra wears. Is it larger than a 245/40/17?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The biggest tyre they can fit is 235/70/R16 with two inches of lift.
IMG_4632.jpeg
That comparison is between the biggest diameter possible (19” or 18”) on GTO/sedan/Crewman front strut and the biggest size the Adventra guys can fit (the vehicle has to be lifted to clear body on full lock)

How ever, remember the Crewman already has a one tonne load capacity in the back. Factory tyre size is more than adequate to handle the weight. Stock 16” or 17” wheels

The car will look a bit odd with giant Hindenburgs on there with no lift.

Once you lower the Crewman you won’t have that one tonne load capacity. Put weight in a lowered crewman and you’ll start sweating that the drive shaft is rubbing through the fuel tank. You are not going to find a spare tank over there.

Last edited:

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
The biggest tyre they can fit is 235/70/R16 with two inches of lift.
View attachment 258612
That comparison is between the biggest diameter possible (19” or 18”) on GTO/sedan/Crewman front strut and the biggest size the Adventra guys can fit (the vehicle has to be lifted to clear body on full lock)

How ever, remember the Crewman already has a one tonne load capacity in the back. Factory tyre size is more than adequate to handle the weight. Stock 16” or 17” wheels

The car will look a bit odd with giant Hindenburgs on there with no lift.

Once you lower the Crewman you won’t have that one tonne load capacity. Put weight in a lowered crewman and you’ll start sweating that the drive shaft is rubbing through the fuel tank. You are not going to find a spare tank over there.
I had someone over here do the measurement you did and looks like it is the same. So the Adventra does not appear have a higher mounted lower spring perch. This is something I'll have to play with closer to the time it's ready to drive. Still want to go OE stuff for quiet and comfort, I just may have to make some compromises on wheels to make it happen.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The other thing that will determine things is what tire size the Adventra wears. Is it larger than a 245/40/17?
Stock tyre is 225/55x17 on a stock 7.5" +48 offset rim .

My Cross6 AWD Crewman has the stock suspension and wheels. I did seek 'expert' advice when I bought it about fitting bigger tyres (not rims) and a lift, but decided 'Nah', as my intended use was for unsealed, but good, outback roads, not rock hopping or getting it bogged 'just for fun'.

The distance from top of tyre to spring seat is currently 40mm, so I could fit a higher profile tyre in that regard. But that would put the tyre closer to the guard (fender ?) and could cause fouling during wheel movement vertically or lock to lock.
That can be overcome by fitting a lift kit, which is going in going in the opposite direction to your intention.
And I was not willing to find out what works, by the way of $$$ investment or some mechanical problem in the middle of nowhere, to confirm what is correct, or BS.

You are going to be limited by the position of the spring seat, but at least you can fit spacers which gets the tyres a bit more clearance.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is interesting. So same struts as all the others. The extra height must be from the hub it is bolted to. That would be good design on Holdens part. No need for another part.

(The hubs on Adventra are radically different.)

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is interesting. So same struts as all the others. The extra height must be from the hub it is bolted to. That would be good design on Holdens part. No need for another part.

(The hubs on Adventra are radically different.)
You're probably right. Now it would be interesting to see what the different part numbers are for the front hubs. I have a set of spare GTO hubs in the garage so I looked for numbers cast in them. Left side is 14KS, right side is 12KS.