Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline cranks wont fire

Dawgyz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline 14
Sorry doesn't have a hatch. They told me to access the pump they needed to drop the tank.

I'm sad that in those 4hours it took them they put back my dodgy harness. How likely is it that, that is the problem?

I also can't believe 5 mechanics have been through it and no one picked this up, only you guys.

Should of stuck with a (previous) Holden dealership I guess.

Dawgyz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline 14
@Dawgyz, does your 2014 SSV have the fuel pump access hatch under the rear seat?

I can’t remember when Holden stopped fitting fuel pump access hatch to the cars. Mid VE comes to mind but not sure so thought I’d ask.

Having a fuel pump (and sender) access hatch makes life much easy when those components need to be serviced/replaced. Else without an access hatch, the exhaust, drive shaft and a other stuff needs to be dropped to remove the fuel tank from the car. Such costs $$$ in labour.

If Bridgestone dropped the tank, then ideally (as experts) they should have advised you that you should have fitted an fuel pump and sender unit access hatches for the next time the something dies…

Food for thought and just to reiterate such for those that don’t have access hatches and have failures going forward ;)

PS: if it was a drop tank $$$ job, I’d definitely be claiming such from Holden under your ACL statutory rights.
How do I go about this? Just contact a previous Holden dealer and advise of the situation re faulty harness etc? Mention stat rights? $400 for labour and they put the same harness in which needs replacing. Means another 4 hrs labour to drop it all again..

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
How do I go about this? Just contact a previous Holden dealer and advise of the situation re faulty harness etc? Mention stat rights? $400 for labour and they put the same harness in which needs replacing. Means another 4 hrs labour to drop it all again..
Holden will charge more than $400.00. A lot more.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Holden will charge more than $400.00. A lot more.
Plus, they will want to put a new genuine pump in the tank.
At least they have plenty of experience removing fuel tanks...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Plus, they will want to put a new genuine pump in the tank.
Then they will put the tank back in without replacing the harness. When asked why didn't you replace the harness,
Ohh l thought the harness had already been replaced.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Sorry doesn't have a hatch. They told me to access the pump they needed to drop the tank.

I'm sad that in those 4hours it took them they put back my dodgy harness. How likely is it that, that is the problem?

I also can't believe 5 mechanics have been through it and no one picked this up, only you guys.

Should of stuck with a (previous) Holden dealership I guess.
Holden or not, I can't believe they'd use that damaged harness again! It's just common sense it needs changing.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ I’d actually have thought a Holden dealer more likely to Doing It Wrong …

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As it’s a known defect in Holden‘s design and as products sold through businesses should be free from defects according to law, you do have an argument that it should be covered under your ACL stat warranty rights. The problem would be that Holden (the manufacturer) wants to handle such things through their dealer network and the selling dealer would have fixed it had you taken it to them (or so they’d say). Reality is different as Holden can be Titus on a bull while GM has better process for handling costs for reimbursement of 3rd party repairs (in some cases, especially recalls)…

ACL also requires service is down with due care and skill and presumes that those doin* yje work are experts. In that context, the fact Bridgestone didn’t replace the connector and pin on that wire can can be construed as not providing service with due case and skill (and I’d consider them less than skilled as they should have known to advise adding a fuel pump hatch at the time of pump change would be a cost effective solution going forward).

The difficulty now is Holden can say that the non OEM pump caused the connector failure and thus won’t now cover it. You won’t know until you talk to the dealer and or Holden Customer Care. Sadly Holden now seems to play hardball and you may end up at QCAT.

And if you just write off the Bridgestone costs and look to Holden to fix a factory issue, it will be obvious the fuel pump has been worked on when your car is lifted on a hoist (and that it doesn’t have an OEM pump in it if looked at carefully)…

The bigger issue is that you still have the problem which must be rectified so your best approach may be to get Bridgestone to fix up their fubar as a warranty claim (since they must guarantee their work as the law requires it be done with care). This is especially the case as you’ve spent $$ and your vehicle still isn’t running correctly… Then when it is running correctly, discuss the cost with the selling dealer and they may help you get reimbursed by Holden (even if it’s their primary responsibility).

At some point in time you’d want a fuel pump access hatch and maybe that’s something Bridgestone can help you with (shouldn’t be more than an hour of labour with a few dollars for consumables) when they agree to fix their fubar under warranty…

Sorry can’t be more helpful but it’s a bit convoluted now (since problem isn’t fixed)…

PS: if this ACL stuff seems a road too far, the solution may be to DIY w.r.t adding a hatch and read the following may be helpful with such.

Then rip into Bridgestone to fix their fubar which should be easier for them to swallow given their costs will be trivial in comparison to dropping the tank.

Last edited:

Dawgyz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline 14
As it’s a known defect in Holden‘s design and as products sold through businesses should be free from defects according to law, you do have an argument that it should be covered under your ACL stat warranty rights. The problem would be that Holden (the manufacturer) wants to handle such things through their dealer network and the selling dealer would have fixed it had you taken it to them (or so they’d say). Reality is different as Holden can be Titus on a bull while GM has better process for handling costs for reimbursement of 3rd party repairs (in some cases, especially recalls)…

ACL also requires service is down with due care and skill and presumes that those doin* yje work are experts. In that context, the fact Bridgestone didn’t replace the connector and pin on that wire can can be construed as not providing service with due case and skill (and I’d consider them less than skilled as they should have known to advise adding a fuel pump hatch at the time of pump change would be a cost effective solution going forward).

The difficulty now is Holden can say that the non OEM pump caused the connector failure and thus won’t now cover it. You won’t know until you talk to the dealer and or Holden Customer Care. Sadly Holden now seems to play hardball and you may end up at QCAT.

And if you just write off the Bridgestone costs and look to Holden to fix a factory issue, it will be obvious the fuel pump has been worked on when your car is lifted on a hoist (and that it doesn’t have an OEM pump in it if looked at carefully)…

The bigger issue is that you still have the problem which must be rectified so your best approach may be to get Bridgestone to fix up their fubar as a warranty claim (since they must guarantee their work as the law requires it be done with care). This is especially the case as you’ve spent $$ and your vehicle still isn’t running correctly… Then when it is running correctly, discuss the cost with the selling dealer and they may help you get reimbursed by Holden (even if it’s their primary responsibility).

At some point in time you’d want a fuel pump access hatch and maybe that’s something Bridgestone can help you with (shouldn’t be more than an hour of labour with a few dollars for consumables) when they agree to fix their fubar under warranty…

Sorry can’t be more helpful but it’s a bit convoluted now (since problem isn’t fixed)…

PS: if this ACL stuff seems a road too far, the solution may be to DIY w.r.t adding a hatch and read the following may be helpful with such.

[/URL]

Then rip into Bridgestone to fix their fubar which should be easier for them to swallow given their costs will be trivial in comparison to dropping the tank.
Thanks very much for all the responses and help.

Very informative and I'll definitely be calling bridgestone back first thing Monday morning. Hopefully can get the harness etc fixed as it should have been replaced and I'll mention warranty etc.

Thanks again guys!