Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stability Control/Engine Light/ABS Fault problems. Help!

Grazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th Anniversary
Hello everyone first time poster in need of help.
Checking the rear brakes on my brother in laws VV Calais 6cyl yesterday we found whoever rotated his tyres last time had actually broken a wheel stud. Long story short got it all apart and replaced the stud and back together. Turns out the mobile mechanic he had service it was wrong about the rear brakes they have 50% of the meat left on them grrrrr but atleast we found the broken stud.
After getting it all back together we got abs warning and stability control warning come up on the dash lights. Have read through this thread picking up hints on what to look for and how to diagnose it. We had all the trouble on the rear left wheel which seems to be the one to fail often. Is it possible to remove the wheel sensor yourself and replace it if need be and how would you go about it.
I'm heading back over there today to check the loom and plug to the sensor, it got to dark last night to see what was going on.
I'm concerned pulling the hub off to replace the wheel stud we may of damaged the wheel sensor itself. Cheers all appreciate any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh welding 1.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 manual 2007
Hi all im having simalar problems with my sv6 2007 model
First time happened i had it scanned and everything that came up was showing signs of the ecu playing up but that fair out of our $$ range so we replaced battery and alternator car was fine for a week and now abs traction stability hand brake lights are coming up again also the speedo will go up and down.... before we changed them parts above the car wanted to cut out one time leaving home. But runs fine now just all the warning lights... what has anyone on here done that has had this problem to fix it? Have been hearing that the sensors could be losse etc havent looked at them yet.

Josh welding 1.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 manual 2007
Hi all im having simalar problems with my sv6 2007 model
First time happened i had it scanned and everything that came up was showing signs of the ecu playing up but that fair out of our $$ range so we replaced battery and alternator car was fine for a week and now abs traction stability hand brake lights are coming up again also the speedo will go up and down.... before we changed them parts above the car wanted to cut out one time leaving home. But runs fine now just all the warning lights... what has anyone on here done that has had this problem to fix it? Have been hearing that the sensors could be losse etc havent looked at them yet.

Josh welding 1.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 manual 2007
Today I unplugged maf sensor to check my odb2 scanner.....plugged scanner in, started car then got engine light with abs and esp off checked codes got one for maff, plugged maff back in cleared code, turned motor off restarted no engine light no abs and esp back on.....explain that one!

Hi did anything happen later after that?

Slapster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Omega Sportwagon
G'day all. Just to add to this thread which has been very helpful. I have a 2009 MY10 Omega Sportwagon.
I had the intermittent ABS fault light coming up & consequent stability control disengaging every time. Had rear left wheel ABS sensor replaced & issue reappeared & was ongoing. Recently the ABS fault light was coming up every time I drove the car, either immediately on starting or when braking for first time the ABS would engage (brake pedal shudder etc) then the ABS fault light would light up & stability control disengage etc. The issue ended up being the wire harness at the rear left wheel. One wire was broken & another was worn/chaffed. They replaced with longer more flexible wiring & also had to tidy a couple of bad connections at the ABS module.
I hope this helps any others having similar issues.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Slapster, that is one of the common faults, and L/H sensor, good to see you fixed yours, whole new loom for the rear is $60 from holden

Doola

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega 2006
My 06 Omega keeps throwing up code c0561 and stability control keeps turning on and off every few minutes with the check engine light . Should I replace rear loom? Any ideas the alarms are killing me while driving lol

WM_Stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman 3.6 SIDI
I dont think the worn bearing would be the cause, there is lots of space around the rear wheel sensors, but for some reason, the wiring harness near the sensors gets chafed, or the wires are made to flex too much with suspension action. The harness is a bit short and the wires coming from the back of the plug are pulled tight to do a hard turn, then the harness runs along the arm that's used to adjust rear-wheel alignment.

Seems this is a common problem. On both my MY07 Caprices, we remade the harness with longer wires to the connectors so that the wires now form a more graceful loop, problem fixed

Pics coming...

Hey Mate, my car's started soind the same thing now - did you ever put up the pics on this fix? I assume it was a modified longer loop?

F1ynn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Hey mate just wondering if you could help me out with something?
Have just had car at mechanics doing a diagnostic test for the ABS light and stability control "OFF" and it has come back as rear left wheel speed sensor but I have just replaced both of them the yesterday any suggestions mechanic cleared codes but they came straight back on as we were driving away

Shotgun_pimp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv 2006
My ve 2006 ssv did this , starter motor was rooted and drained battery sucking power , starter nearly lit on fire, i changed it and checked error codes, crank angle sensor warning light on but not been cleared. Check battery , starter motor and get your local mechanic to clear old engine codes