Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suddenly it's Hammer Time !!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Can you please demonstrate this fact. Put 4 litres of oil in a sauce pan and heat to 90 degrees C and see what happens.

Btw, do you know the boiling or vapour point of your average motor oil?
I said a thin layer not 4L, don't change the story it is a demonstration on what's left on the lifters not sump. Sump oil can reach up to 120 degrees so just think once the motor turned off and the thin coat of oil on those lifters drain away, what left to protect it self if the villosity of the oil cant stand the heat left to battle while it cools? They say then if that's so why only one lifter well I can say the same about the crud why only one they all get the same treatment? Not here to fight the end.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The thing is, there is a lot of oil in the engine and a fair amount of that is in the top part of the engine which when you shut it off the drains back to the sump over a period of time. Remove the intake from your ecotec and there will be little puddles of oil around the top of the lifters so there isn't just a thin smear, there is plenty of oil and you also seem to forget that the inside of the lifter is full of oil, that is after all how an hydraulic lifter works.

Engine oil is specifically formulated to withstand the normal operating conditions inside an engine. If what you say is accurate then every engine would be covered in burnt oil internally and I can guarantee that is not the case on most engines except those that have been neglected.

The lifter that failed has a few hundred thousand kilometers of wear and tear on it. I'd also bet it's one of the lifters that is predominantly under load with an open valve as most engines stop in only a few positions. It did not suddenly fail due to the volatility of the new oil used.

I think it's time you Google up a better theory.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
.... Hell, some manufacturers of... products ... have advertised their products on this.
And we all know advertising never lies :p especially vitamins and oil additive companies o_O

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope, never...

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Remove the intake from your ecotec and there will be little puddles of oil around the top of the lifters so there isn't just a thin smear, there is plenty of oil and you also seem to forget that the inside of the lifter is full of oil, that is after all how an hydraulic lifter works.

I have when I replaced my intake gaskets and from memory no pools of oil in what I seen, what's to say it failed due to no oil as the ports ( hole ) was blocked or the check valve wasn't doing its job and leaking down. Even if it had issues before the last oil change running the incorrect oil would of shorten its life much quicker, all oil has cleaning agent in so doubt that would of caused it from ceasing, anyhow I hope his getting close to getting it up and running again.
Oils ant Oils...

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
IMG_2953 - Copy.JPG
Nearly there, just having lunch and have to go out and get a small hose that runs from the manifold to the under side of the throttle body as the original one has now cracked while cleaning work was done. This can be clearly seen in the second photo. It was still the original 920 part numbered hose from factory. I'm going to get another hose with a similar bend in it that's on the shelf and then fit it and it's then time for start up.

Everything within the valve train was well oiled during assembly (lifters soaked in oil overnight) and then just before the valve covers went on I decanted about a litre of oil nicely all over the rocker gear and also down the push rod holes.

IMG_2955 - Copy.JPG

A few hours worth of cleaning and prep here on this Valley / Manifold.

IMG_2957 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@vs-lover did you get a new lifters or were you able to disassemble and free up the old one?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm testing out the ignore function :D

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nearly there, just having lunch and have to go out and get a small hose that runs from the manifold to the under side of the throttle body as the original one has now cracked while cleaning work was done. This can be clearly seen in the second photo. It was still the original 920 part numbered hose from factory. I'm going to get another hose with a similar bend in it that's on the shelf and then fit it and it's then time for start up.

Everything within the valve train was well oiled during assembly (lifters soaked in oil overnight) and then just before the valve covers went on I decanted about a litre of oil nicely all over the rocker gear and also down the push rod holes.

View attachment 207862 View attachment 207863

Whaaaaat no LIM spacer?