Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 3.6 Thermostat Replacement

Horacehighroller

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2010 Int VE11 Omega LY7 LPG Statesman 09 LY7
Before anyone else does a thermostat look for signs of coolant leak immediately above the water pump pulley.
Where the coolant inlet (where you top up coolant) bolts to the motor there are two seals. If they are leaking coolant can run down the valley and leak down both sides of the bellhousing. Appears to come from the thermostat housing.

Bdawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Commodore VZ Acclaim
Ok guys I just changed the thermostat and new o-rings, water pump, inlet manifold gasket, metal manifold gasket, both O2 sensors, serpentine belt, upper and lower radiator hoses and coolant for $250 I purchased all the parts myself and got my mechanic to do the job. 2005 V6 VZ Lumina Wagon.

Bdawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Commodore VZ Acclaim
Ok guys I just changed the thermostat and new o-rings, water pump, inlet manifold gasket, metal manifold gasket, both O2 sensors, serpentine belt, upper and lower radiator hoses and coolant for $250 I purchased all the parts myself and got my mechanic to do the job. 2005 V6 VZ Lumina Wagon.
Hey mate can u give me your mechanics details?

Zachary Curran

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 V6
My mechanic just flatout said No to doing this job. I have to take it to Holden which is gonna cost me an arm and a leg but at least i know they will so it right.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Mechanic in Sydney

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
VZ Is a nightmare and needs to have the trans dropped, which isn't much of deal considering its standard for clutch replacement.
$400 parts and labour.