Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sv6 brake upgrade with staggered rear wheels??

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A lot of centre designs can have trouble with big brakes but it would have to be a poor designed barrel on a 20 inch rim for it not to be able to accommodate Brembos in diameter.

Have you got any photos taken from a bit further away where it shows the size of the existing calliper in relation to the rim design.

Maybe the calliper is much fatter then the Brembo ones.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
A lot of centre designs can have trouble with big brakes but it would have to be a poor designed barrel on a 20 inch rim for it not to be able to accommodate Brembos in diameter.

Have you got any photos taken from a bit further away where it shows the size of the existing calliper in relation to the rim design.

Maybe the calliper is much fatter then the Brembo ones.

Attachments

• 15002887161102102003427.jpg
    15002887161102102003427.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
That photo any good to you? Mind the dirty wheels haha been rainy a bit in Adelaide.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Might Just take it to a shop this weekend and see what they recommend.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Those stock calipers look wider than the Brembos.

As you’d know the Brembo calipers come in difference sizes depending on how much stopping power you’re after and in most cases it’s the length of the caliper more than the width that increases to accommodate extra pistons.

I took a measurement of the four piston rear calipers on my Redline Ute for arronm as few weeks back and the thickness from the outside face of the rotor to the outside face of the caliper was 55mm (a close approximate) and the four piston front is 60mm.

The same measurement on my C63 AMG for the four piston rears is also 55mm and six piston fronts is also 60mm.

Grap a tape and straight edge and measure the width on your stockies and see how they compare.

You may find that by swapping to Brembos you gain some extra clearance.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Those stock calipers look wider than the Brembos.

As you’d know the Brembo calipers come in difference sizes depending on how much stopping power you’re after and in most cases it’s the length of the caliper more than the width that increases to accommodate extra pistons.

I took a measurement of the four piston rear calipers on my Redline Ute for arronm as few weeks back and the thickness from the outside face of the rotor to the outside face of the caliper was 55mm (a close approximate) and the four piston front is 60mm.

The same measurement on my C63 AMG for the four piston rears is also 55mm and six piston fronts is also 60mm.

Grap a tape and straight edge and measure the width on your stockies and see how they compare.

You may find that by swapping to Brembos you gain some extra clearance.

is there any other options that'd be cheaper than brembos??

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
is there any other options that'd be cheaper than brembos??

If I was looking at an option I'd go for AP Racing as they do a reasonable job on my Clubsport, whether they're cheaper or not I wouldn't know but in most cases it's the old story of you get what you pay for.

SSLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS LS3
Hi all,

Im looking into doing a brake upgrade on my vf sv6 but the issue I've got is that my rear wheels are like 5mm away from hitting the standard brakes as ive got staggered rear wheels.

Thanks in Advance.

You most likely wont clear the brembo's with stock wheels .

A few 18" wheels fit ,Most 19" wheels designed for big brake clearance would easily clear the brakes as would stock Holden Redline and HSV wheels.

Its kind of catch 22 where upgrading wheels , expensive larger tyres & brakes all add up in price for decreasing gains in braking.

Alternatively you could just upgrade to SS brakes and get a good performance pad for bang for the buck

I have a similar requirement and have created a thread for it if you like to check it out.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/18-wheels-to-fit-brembo-or-ap-racing-package.266115/

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
Go try Harrop they do a slim 4pot caliper that my fit.
Looks like you have a deep concave rim which is probably going to be the problem. I found all the rims I liked with deep concave the inside rim centre would hit the Brembo caliper only option I had was to go custom fit off set but just to pricey for a set of rims.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 STORM WAGON 2015
Harrop monobloc fit under std sv6/ss wheels but only just. 20 s should be fine