Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft Centre Bearing Leak?

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
It a sign the C.V is starting to fail....

To solve the problem it will need to be replaced.....

How do I know...Have had 4 fail with my VC and that's how they started.....

Age is the cause....
@vccommodore - what were some of the signs that this was happening or about to need replacement? Was it an expensive replacement item? I'd be paying someone to repair if it was an issue due to lack of skills and tools to try myself.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the last time I changed a cv in an early commodore when it started failing it was like the passengers in the back seat were stamping their feet on the floor was what I first noticed .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@vccommodore - what were some of the signs that this was happening or about to need replacement? Was it an expensive replacement item? I'd be paying someone to repair if it was an issue due to lack of skills and tools to try myself.

Grease spraying out like yours is doing......It can't spray oil because there is no oil in it....It is packed with grease.....

From the grease spray, it started vibrating....From that it started knocking like someone was knocking on my floor pan.....The final bit, all 6 bolts loosened off and 4 of them parted ways with the shaft.....That only because I ignored it rather than deal with it as soon as I noticed the grease spray

Replacement...First one set me back $200 for supply and fit....the final one I had my tailshaft shortened, re balanced, new centre bearing, C.V and unis....Set me back about $600 ish for all that work...

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Grease spraying out like yours is doing......It can't spray oil because there is no oil in it....It is packed with grease.....

From the grease spray, it started vibrating....From that it started knocking like someone was knocking on my floor pan.....The final bit, all 6 bolts loosened off and 4 of them parted ways with the shaft.....That only because I ignored it rather than deal with it as soon as I noticed the grease spray

Replacement...First one set me back $200 for supply and fit....the final one I had my tailshaft shortened, re balanced, new centre bearing, C.V and unis....Set me back about $600 ish for all that work...
Thanks @vc commodore.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If you do the hard work and remove the tailshaft and take it somewhere it'll be alot cheaper.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
If you do the hard work and remove the tailshaft and take it somewhere it'll be alot cheaper.
It can be a bit tricky to get the rear uni bolts undone. Only takes a few minutes with the correct tools.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The bolts get flogged pretty well too and sometimes need replacing. IIRC they are a small head and standard bolt shop ones won't fit.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
CV or driveshaft to diff coupling?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't see how those bolts could get flogged unless someone has stuffed them trying to remove them. Those bastards are tight so I don't see them coming loose, they also use a steel locknut from the factory to prevent them working loose.