Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The End of an Era

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
What will Just Commodores be called now? "Just Equinoxes" or "Commodores & Equinoxes"?

I can see your comment is a little tongue in cheek so to speak, but in reality......
It"ll always be "Just Commodores" because 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the members here drive the real deal...….An Australian Built Commodore

If I do remember correctly though, Darren only allowed/added the ZB section to the forum because some f#ckwit thought it would be a good idea to call the ZB a commodore

Last edited:

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
I think what's worse is they could have had the Commodore go out with a bang, remembered forever in the hearts of Holden fans, in 2017. Instead, against the advice of their lead marketing exec, they decided to slap the badge onto an Insignia and now the Commodore name will just disappear unceremoniously into the abyss of time.

M

mwb235

Maybe the forum mods could add an asterix next to the ZB i.e. ZB* with a footnote "* Not recognised as worthy of the Commodore name by the majority of forum members." or similar. Or list it under "Insignia and derivatives" leaving VB-VF in the "real" category. A bit like Kosovo - not all countries recognise it as a country, particularly if you are Serbian. (puts flame suit on)

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
At last. The torture is over. The commodore can rest in peace.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It is funny reading about everyone saying the ZB is not a Commodore but if Holden continued manufacturing in AU, the ZB would of been the car built in Adelaide.

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
GM has a long history of killing off brands - Oldsmobile, Saturn, Hummer and Pontiac. Saab died an undignified death at the hands of GM. At least GM had the decency to sell Opel and Vauxhall while they were still going concerns. I wonder how long they will keep Holden on life support for?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
It is funny reading about everyone saying the ZB is not a Commodore but if Holden continued manufacturing in AU, the ZB would of been the car built in Adelaide.

Even though Holden themselves said something similar, I don't buy that line. The truth is if Holden had the money to continue developing/manufacturing Commodore it would've almost certainly had rear-wheel-drive (or standard AWD) and engineered for V6, V8 and (probably) manual transmissions, ute platforms etc. Because that's what Commodore buyers want. Even a ZB engineered locally to include all of the above would've worked much better than the bland ZB we got. As it stands, it didn't have the money and had to settle for an imported Insignia, rebadged as Commodore.

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
I think the ZB was just a sad little footnote to an epic story that already had a tragic ending.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Even though Holden themselves said something similar, I don't buy that line. The truth is if Holden had the money to continue developing/manufacturing Commodore it would've almost certainly had rear-wheel-drive (or standard AWD) and engineered for V6, V8 and (probably) manual transmissions, ute platforms etc. Because that's what Commodore buyers want. Even a ZB engineered locally to include all of the above would've worked much better than the bland ZB we got. As it stands, it didn't have the money and had to settle for an imported Insignia, rebadged as Commodore.
Whilst you are right, Brettly, the sales figures just didn't support getting a car for our tastes. Dunno how it all would have worked in the ZB bodyshell (transverse V8 with AWD anyone? or completely re-egineer to be a rear wheel drive a la Triumph in the 70's).
Australians almost completely stopped buying Australian-made, including our three levels of government.