Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The King is dead. Long live the King! RIP Commodore :-(

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Forg said "You may go down in history as the only person ever to say they liked the sound of an Ecomoo" ...

Nah - I meant the whine of the Eaton supercharger when you pressed down hard on the right hand pedal.
Standard Ecotec engine is not so delightful to listen to.

Last edited:

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
no way if you want to go that era HSV or go home.
I'll go home then.... to a stock (other than extractors 2.5 twin straight true dual and hi flo cats.... even has original cassette player and wind up windows) manual 5l VT SS in heron white that I love more every day

Not too fast.......which means you get to enjoy the sound for longer as the corrolla youre racing disappears up the road. Like a nice wine. To be consumed slowly and with enjoyment

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
There are so many... I want them al.lol.
But it is a bargain hunters paradise atm. And umlike the old Chryslers that could be had for a carton of VB and are now pulling North of $200k, or any of the very desirable and even slower Holden or Ford muscle cars from the 60's and 70"s, they are cheap!!!
Try a tidy S1 VT Cluby R8 manual, with Coulson seats etc etc that sold for $6,500 recently. I should have bought it. Even my Son's VE LS3 R8 man in voodoo. Looks and sounds horn and what a fun car to drive All for $19k!
They're out there everywhere. But, they won't last forever at the current bargain basement prices.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
This is digressing a long way from the original thread but it has a tiny bit of relevance. In 1979, my drive was an HT Premier with 327 and Saginaw 4 speed. For a single bloke it was all I wanted. However, matrimony loomed and the price of fuel had started to rise rapidly. (from 15.7 cents per litre to about 20cpl in 6 to 8 months). As well, the other half couldn't drive the car, it was way too heavy in steering, clutch and gear change for her.

I put the car on consignment and we bought a Mazda 1500 SS. It was light, easy to drive, very cheap and gave over 40 mpg cruising. The Premier was more like 13 mpg. We drove the Mazda for a month while the Premier failed to sell. I had to pick it up from the dealer and remember being absolutely astonished at the grunt of the Premier after only a month in the Mazda. That Premier was a beautiful 4 door Monaro equivalent, but fuel prices were killing V8 values at the time and it took me many months before I was able to find a buyer.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Possibly however you won't get one close to the SS/Calais money to begin with. In fairness there are only selected HSV's over the journey which go close to deserving the premium price tag.

My E3 was debatable (as much as I liked that car). Hard to argue against the LSA's, W427, Callaway VTII GTS, any of the 5.7L VR/S/T's and the niche (very under rated IMO) VP Clubby 5000i and VP GTS's, VN SV5000 to name a few that delivered significant performance upgrades for the money. For the most part though the Clubby/Sen/GTS were not much more than their respective Holden spec cars with a loud body kit and sometimes bigger brakes.
Monaros CV8 still pull big $$$

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is digressing a long way from the original thread but it has a tiny bit of relevance. In 1979, my drive was an HT Premier with 327 and Saginaw 4 speed. For a single bloke it was all I wanted. However, matrimony loomed and the price of fuel had started to rise rapidly. (from 15.7 cents per litre to about 20cpl in 6 to 8 months). As well, the other half couldn't drive the car, it was way too heavy in steering, clutch and gear change for her.

I put the car on consignment and we bought a Mazda 1500 SS. It was light, easy to drive, very cheap and gave over 40 mpg cruising. The Premier was more like 13 mpg. We drove the Mazda for a month while the Premier failed to sell. I had to pick it up from the dealer and remember being absolutely astonished at the grunt of the Premier after only a month in the Mazda. That Premier was a beautiful 4 door Monaro equivalent, but fuel prices were killing V8 values at the time and it took me many months before I was able to find a buyer.
In the modern times I don't understand the small SUV buying they don't have grunt fuel economy is AVG and handling is AVG, rather a commie any day

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
In the modern times I don't understand the small SUV buying they don't have grunt fuel economy is AVG and handling is AVG, rather a commie any day
It's the ease of access that causes people to buy SUV's rather than sedans or hatchbacks. Remember that performance isn't important to many people. Modern SUV's are a lot better at handling than even five years ago. They have a full range of electronic driving assist equipment in many cases. They don't appeal to everybody, but sedans appeal to far fewer.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
There are so many... I want them al.lol.
But it is a bargain hunters paradise atm. And umlike the old Chryslers that could be had for a carton of VB and are now pulling North of $200k, or any of the very desirable and even slower Holden or Ford muscle cars from the 60's and 70"s, they are cheap!!!
Try a tidy S1 VT Cluby R8 manual, with Coulson seats etc etc that sold for $6,500 recently. I should have bought it. Even my Son's VE LS3 R8 man in voodoo. Looks and sounds horn and what a fun car to drive All for $19k!
They're out there everywhere. But, they won't last forever at the current bargain basement prices.
They'll be undervalued used up and crushed in their thousands. I wish it was otherwise.
FJ Holdens were worth $50 in the early 1970s. Mostly worn out relics, and disposed of.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
They'll be undervalued used up and crushed in their thousands. I wish it was otherwise.
FJ Holdens were worth $50 in the early 1970s. Mostly worn out relics, and disposed of.
Yeah, lots will. But mainly povo packs I hope. Still, it's a good incentive to grab something nice now at the right price.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's the ease of access that causes people to buy SUV's rather than sedans or hatchbacks. Remember that performance isn't important to many people. Modern SUV's are a lot better at handling than even five years ago. They have a full range of electronic driving assist equipment in many cases. They don't appeal to everybody, but sedans appeal to far fewer.
It's funny I'm watching my mother in law struggling to get in her little SUV shitbox, gets in the commodore easy, getting out a bit harder though. I can get it a Heap more shopping in my boot than hers. I just don't get it.