Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The pain of no A/C or the pain of the repair cost

Repair A/C

• Total voters

wisha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX WAG
you still had a leak

when the gas gets low it blows colder as it's losing pressure(i don't want to go into a big explanation) until there is is no gas and it stops working

Hmmm interesting. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe an O-ring held in the pressure test, but let go once the car was moving. Reading above, the compressor is the most likely site of a leak?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You don't notice the big drop in performance? I do

Minor drop in power, hardly noticeable. I can turn the air off if I overtake and it really makes no difference. I have a Buick engine though so not a great deal of power anyway. Although my VR ute could be lighter than your vehicle.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
To be honest, it's been so long without having air, I am being guided by the feeling I get when turning on the air in my VZ 190. Maybe the affect is greater in this engine ?

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
So if I was to use my own labor and remove /install compressors, TX Valve and drier, am I allowed to actually do it, considering you need an ARCTick person to recover gas.?
Keep in mind though that there is probably no gas in there since it went from cold to ( not cold )within 2 days of the last regas.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I removed and replaced air parts before when I installed a new heater core and the tech was happy to regas it. Over here they run the sniffer over it anyway and they fill it with nitrogen first to see that it holds pressure. They used to use dye but in Tas the suppliers won't warranty the parts if dye is used now. I know Perkins Auto Repairs in McLaren Vale have no issue with you replacing parts as does a place in Aldinga.

Last edited:

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
That's not exactly what I mean. If I were to remove the old compressor, that is illegal is it or not? If there is no gas in it then it might be legal but how can I prove it? I am sure no refrigeration mech is going to dob you in but it's still possibly illegal and dangerous.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No it's not legal but who cares, just don't tell anyone. Having said that vaccing the gas is not expensive.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Well my options just went down considerably.
I rang two local AC mechanics and both said they would NOT do gas on a second hand compressor.

WTF. Now I cant even get a bargain $49 from a wrecker and get lucky