Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

There was an almighty KABOOM in my SV6 engine( ecotech)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
OK, the oil pump looks something like this and is inside the timing chain cover.
N1%20Billet%20Gears.jpg

The timing chain sprocket fits over the crank shaft and the oil pump fits over the crank snout in front of the timing chain sprocket. The timing chains look like this
P7060030.jpg

I think it is safe to say that under normal circumstances it is almost impossible for this type of oil pump to fail mechanically as it is driven directly off the snout of the crankshaft. Obviously the exact failure won't be known until tear down however as all of this was removed to do the timing chains I think it is safe to say that the 2 are related.

car_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
What a god awful engine design... I'm curious as to how the crankshaft bearings caused the engine and transmission into an over-rev situation?

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
OK, the oil pump looks something like this and is inside the timing chain cover.
N1%20Billet%20Gears.jpg

The timing chain sprocket fits over the crank shaft and the oil pump fits over the crank snout in front of the timing chain sprocket. The timing chains look like this
P7060030.jpg

I think it is safe to say that under normal circumstances it is almost impossible for this type of oil pump to fail mechanically as it is driven directly off the snout of the crankshaft. Obviously the exact failure won't be known until tear down however as all of this was removed to do the timing chains I think it is safe to say that the 2 are related.

Thank you for this wonder piece of information it's all coming together now thoses lying bas.....

Malice VE

Reaction score
I spun a bearing in my VR . Just wondering how this would have sounded compared to that ?

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
I spun a bearing in my VR . Just wondering how this would have sounded compared to that ?

all i remember was the rev just kep going up by themselve to about 7500revs it wouldn't kick into gear, my hubby took his foot of the accelerator this woeful grinding noise started then a bang it waslike a tight rubber balloon gone too far
buto be told all prlimary test were ok and the cars running fine on 1st inspection to no two maine bearing on the crankshaft have been damaged but unrelated to the timing chain that was replaced 10 prior.....mmmmmmIm not stupid'

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Your not supposed to ask sensible questions like that! ;)
You know the story, leaving out certain pieces of the story doesnt mean you're telling a lie...
But what would cause an over rev?

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Sounds to me "holden" are trying to have a lend of you here.
2 bearings you say have gone, very interesting indeed. In what way did they say they are damaged? Broken? Badly scored? Warped?
There should be some good engine re conditioners down your way I suggest you phone them and ask them what would cause 2 main bearings to be destroyed in an engine that recently had its timing chain re done.
I defiantly have my suspicions. How in hell did they say the car was fine on the first inspection, either they didnt inspect it first or they caused the bearings problem after the first inspection.
Get expert advice before talking to them again.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Some info for you kingbearings.com/files/Engine_Bearing_Failures_and_How_to_Avoid_Them.pdf

Malice VE

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your car , I'd be devastated . Good luck

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Everybody is pointing the finger at Holden and ignoring the fact that the driver was abusing the motor by smashing it off the limiter for an unspecified amount of time when the damage occured.