Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
But in reality the whole building industry Australia wide is FUBAR and if you watch the following Site Inspections YouTube channel, you’d quickly come to the same conclusion as well :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/@Siteinspections
And if the rate of building accelerates to meet demand (as if) we are going to have alot of sh!tty builds.
There's enough sh!t high rise that's been completed in the last 10 years by builders that Pheonix their companies to avoid rectification work.
Then again I have been accused of being a cynic.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
PS: what peeves me off is AU/NZ standards and state building code regs being behind a paywall … if such docs were freely available, such poor build quality shitfuckery may not occur as much…
The lack of access to AUNZ standards won't worry the 90,000 building workers we seem to be planning to source from overseas to meet demand. Standards? What are they?
There I go again, being a pessimist.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
And if the rate of building accelerates to meet demand (as if) we are going to have alot of sh!tty builds.
There's enough sh!t high rise that's been completed in the last 10 years by builders that Pheonix their companies to avoid rectification work.
Then again I have been accused of being a cynic.

The lack of access to AUNZ standards won't worry the 90,000 building workers we seem to be planning to source from overseas to meet demand. Standards? What are they?
There I go again, being a pessimist.

I too believe the system is broken. And I also suspect that it became broken when inspections and sign-offs became privatised. Even though the person paying for the build has the right to choose their own inspector, the reality is that the inspectors do become allied with the builders as that’s where they get their money. i.e. if they are known for being too particular, builders won’t accept building contracts with that inspector. So, they are indirectly incentivised to sign off without being too particular if they wish to keep working.

It seems that it has come down to that classic triangle of good-quick-cheap, choose any two. The current inspection system seems to be quick-cheap.

The previous system was seen to be too bureaucratic and perhaps a bit slow, but it seemed to work quite well. The local council’s building inspectors plus the inspectors from the utilities (water, electricity, sewage, stormwater) seemed to cast a keen eye over the building work and seemed more than happy to question any suspect work. A sewage pipe not laid dead straight (and pass the light-and-mirror test) had to be redone before being passed. (Cheap-good).

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Power prices in QLD are going up again while prices in other states are going down.
One of the reasons is because of the demand on power during warmer months puts strain on the system.
So the power price help from state and federal govts won't go as far as people originally thought it would.
Same thing happened last time they gave power bill relief.

The QLD treasurer was on TV saying that renewables will bring the price down, Which he has been saying for a long tim, Just wouldn't say when it will happen

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Prices for electricity will never go down, they are monopolies that sell power to make money. They will charge what the market will pay to maximise profits, cost of production, distribution or fairness doesn't come into it.

An example of how privatisation and private enterprise works is currently in England now. Water has been privatised along with treatment of sewerage. The fines for polluting in England are a tiny percentage of the cost of treatment so they are just pumping untreated sewage into streams, lake and rivers. Pay the fine, maximise the profits for shareholders and buggar everybody else.

When power relies more on renewables it will still be the same, they will charge what they can to maximise profits. Went stand alone 7 years ago haven't paid a power bill since.

VSYoot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute/VP Berlina. Caring for a 597kW VE SS
Prices for electricity will never go down, they are monopolies that sell power to make money. They will charge what the market will pay to maximise profits, cost of production, distribution or fairness doesn't come into it.

An example of how privatisation and private enterprise works is currently in England now. Water has been privatised along with treatment of sewerage. The fines for polluting in England are a tiny percentage of the cost of treatment so they are just pumping untreated sewage into streams, lake and rivers. Pay the fine, maximise the profits for shareholders and buggar everybody else.

When power relies more on renewables it will still be the same, they will charge what they can to maximise profits. Went stand alone 7 years ago haven't paid a power bill since.
Yup, and that's why they are pushing EVs on to us and fitting Wi-Fi and a screen into anything that farking plugs into the wall.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I finely worked out who the real Turd Ferguson is for years I thought he was a disco driving JC member (good bloke).

• Haha
Reactions: Lex