Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle Stuck? Hit a tree...

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Credit that he didn't throw some back with us all piling on with our presumptions.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Not sure about turning key to ‘off’ while in motion.……… lock the steering and be an onlooker to whatever is to happen.
Quicker thinking would be the answer, hit clutch, brake and neutral, or shifter into ‘N’ and brake, then steer around whatever, stop and turn off.
You read about out of control cars travelling long distances at top speed on the freeways (USA) with the cruise control stuck, and wonder ….. how?
But only experience and competence will teach this.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
FWIW fig, the key will turn off on first click BEFORE the steering is locked.
It's all about experience, and a calm head in a crisis.....And ALSO remember just before you HIT, hands OFF the wheel.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
NEVER EVER turn try to switch the ignition off while in motion. Put it in neutral if auto or push the clutch in until you can come to a stop.

Otherwise there's a good chance you'll engage the steering lock in panic and lose steering altogether!

Edit. Yep the others above said it before me. Hadn't refreshed my screen for a while

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
FWIW fig, the key will turn off on first click BEFORE the steering is locked.
It's all about experience, and a calm head in a crisis.....And ALSO remember just before you HIT, hands OFF the wheel.
Yeah. It all happens very quickly and each time would be different.
I can't honestly say what order I did things in but I'm sure experience helped.
Vintage hotrod didnt have a steering lock or even a key start in my case.

I did smack a tree in the family wagon before I even got my first car so I'm not claiming any class here. Cant claim any mechanical issue either.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Out of interest, what codes was it throwing? Did they determine the fault to be in the pedal position sensor or in the throttle position sensor?

Reason I ask is, from memory the Commodore uses a 2 reading pedal position sensor. Ie sensor 1 is 5v and scales to 0v depending on application pressure and the second sensor starts at 0v and scales up to 5v. It references off both values to work out what position to move the blade. discrepancy between these 2 values will throw a code and place it into limp mode.

Now, if the fault was in the throttle body ramping itself up to WOT with no pedal input the ecu also sees this and throws a code and place it into limp mode.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Jeez talk about an inviting community, he came here for advice and all you do is insult him? pathetic

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Jeez talk about an inviting community, he came here for advice and all you do is insult him? pathetic

It is sad, people assume the worst instead of taking other things into consideration.....I am just glad the young fella is still alive to ask the question and has a holden mechanic with the data to back up his story for the insurance company to take into consideration for the payout of the car.

Prior to this sort of technology, it would have been pretty difficult to prove his story and sadly he would have been left out of pocket

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Doesn't make sense as the built in safety feature would have put the car into limp mode as soon as the throttle and pedal position didn't match.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is there any way the car can log data from the last drive?