Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle Stuck? Hit a tree...

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Perhaps you might have turned the key off very quickly as soon as you felt that happening?????????
or shifter into ‘N’ and brake
Yeah wish I did either turn the key off or put into neutral, that's what they taught us at a course that I did a few months ago. Didn't think about it at the time, had about 20m of room I'd assume.

Credit that he didn't throw some back with us all piling on with our presumptions.
Jeez talk about an inviting community, he came here for advice and all you do is insult him? pathetic
holden mechanic with the data to back up his story for the insurance company to take into consideration for the payout of the car.
Prior to this sort of technology, it would have been pretty difficult to prove his story and sadly he would have been left out of pocket
I seen it coming as soon as I created the thread, just thought I'd wait to hear back from my insurance to see what the outcome was before I said anything. I was pretty confident that I did not cause the accident, hence why I created the thread. As VC commodore said, without whatever machine the bloke from Holden took out to the car I would be stuck. I'm not one that does skids etc as most P Plate's do, I just genuinely have a passion for Commodores, hence why I got the highest model I could get within the limits of P Plates and my budget.

Out of interest, what codes was it throwing? Did they determine the fault to be in the pedal position sensor or in the throttle position sensor?
Is there any way the car can log data from the last drive?
Not too sure what codes it threw as I was standing in the sun outside the car, couldn't see the screen on the machine. He just told me that the throttle sensor failed as it read 100% whilst he was not on the actual accelerator at all. Not sure if he looked to see what happened at the time of the incident, not even sure if they can do that. But he pulled apart the intake and as he thought, the valve was fully opened.

Doesn't make sense as the built in safety feature would have put the car into limp mode as soon as the throttle and pedal position didn't match.
That's what the bloke from Holden said, that it should've went into limp mode. But I'm pretty certain that it didn't go into limp mode, I probably would've been able to stop if it did (not sure how much limp mode affects the engine output). If it helps at all, when the key was inserted in the ignition it came up with a stability control fault, not sure of the exact words, but I know the ESP was switched off when he turned the key to 'On'.

Insurance has said they're giving me $13,000 for the car, which is a lot more than I initially thought I would receive. I've heard they tend to give you a pretty low offer.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've heard they tend to give you a pretty low offer.

If it is insured for market value then yes, however if you have agreed value then they need to pay the value that has been agreed.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
If it is insured for market value then yes, however if you have agreed value then they need to pay the value that has been agreed.
I opted for Market Value, got paid more than I actually brought the car for :)

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Now instead of $2500 a year for comp you get to pay $3500 a year. Wew lad what a reward.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Now instead of $2500 a year for comp you get to pay $3500 a year. Wew lad what a reward.
Nup, premiums will stay the same due to having Rating 1 with insurance. This claim doesn’t affect any premiums which we have in writing from the insuror, this is also found on their website (saying it will not affect) and can be tested through their quote calculator online. Was shocked to find out this information when it was enquired about higher premiums.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I guess a mechanical fault in the throttle body would cause it to jam open, or excess carbon buildup, preventing it to close even if commanded to by the ECM.

Last edited:

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
I guess a mechanical failure in the throttle body would cause it to jam open, or excess carbon buildup, preventing it to close even if commanded to by the ECM.
Ah I see, hope it's not a common problem. Scary experience and then to learn that it was a mechanical fault, felt like I was literally being taken for a ride (yes if I had more room to work with I would've put it into neutral).

Well it's up for auction now as a statutory write off :( Might go watch it and see it for the last time, little do they know I was in the driver seat... Definitely hasn't put me off Commodores though, considering either a VE Z Series/VF SV6 or Calais V for the next car. If only Holden still had their comparison tool on their website for the VF range, would make my car hunt much easier!

Thanks for all the comments guys I appreciate it, even the ones saying I was at fault as I can see how it can be perceived that way :p

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I've never heard of it happening and I've been with Holden for eleven years so definitely not common.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had a TB stick on my old Jeep but I was able to pull over with it revving its ring off, with me jambing on the brakes and shutting it down pretty quick. I was able to get it in neutral. It's a scary thing the first time it happens, especially when you get up to 120 and flicking the pedal and it just gets worse.... RACT fixed mine with a squirt of special spray lube. It happened again twice but I was ready for it. I ended up using a fair amount of RP7 to free it up, so it never did it again. Jeep didn't have the tech that the VE has, so I was probably fortunate.