Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Tinting your windows Read this first!!! DIY

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Also best thing to use as the spray solution is 1 teaspoon of johnsons baby shampoo to a spray bottle of water

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
I kept getting 'fingers' of air running in from the sides. Soon as I'd push them out the the side, they would just form again straight away
what were you using to push the moisture out with mate? if you were using like a gold teflon card of sorts (or sumthing like that) wraping a lint free cloth around the card when you push the moisture out will help. also, the more you push the spears down (or 'fingers' if you prefer) and they keep popping back up, the more chance you have of getting dust, felt etc under the tint. cus when the spear forms again, it acts like a small vacuum and sucks not only moisture back in, but also whatever is trapped in the moisture. best bet, if its only a small spear, is if it doesnt go down the first time, leave it. let it tack off for a few hours, then push it down. or, heat the glass up with a heat gun and try it. the less you can muck around with spear, the better off you are ;)

stripping the old tint off is way easier with a heat gun and a spray bottle of water ,way easier than doing it all with a razor blade !
unless your good with a scraper blade that is :p

Also best thing to use as the spray solution is 1 teaspoon of johnsons baby shampoo to a spray bottle of water
damn straight! i use Johnsons 'No More Tears' (the gold colored liquid), it works just as good as a world class professional slip solution, like Slip-G etc. Word of note though, if you get small copious amounts on your door trims etc, wipe it off soon as you can, it can stain ;)

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
I am a window tinter and trust me it's not easy. Wind ups are relatively easy. Try shrinking a rear screen on a vt-vz without creasing it. It's not easy. I know tinters that have been tinting for years who can't tint a rear screen on most commodores. You can always pick a home job. But if your willing to give it a go. Make sure you don't cheap out on film. Get either johnsons, 3m, mep or suntek films. Cheap **** from autobarn is garbage. Anyway good write up and have fun. Oh you can also use morning fresh to apply it just becarefull. It's a pretty strong concentrate. I'd use around 12-14 pumps per 20l

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Try shrinking a rear screen on a vt-vz without creasing it. It's not easy.
Get either johnsons, 3m, mep or suntek films. Cheap **** from autobarn is garbage.
ill vouch for that mate! ive been tinting everything and anything from dirty ass bobcats through to rooftop pyramid skylights for nearly 8.5 years... and i gotta agree with you, even i sometimes screw up a VT-Z rear screen up in the top corners, rarely, but still happens. its good to see another honest tinter that doesnt think they are perfectly faultless 100% of the time. as u said even the most experienced stuff up.
TOTALLY agree with steering clear of the cheap ass autobarn/supercheap film. even if installed properly it wont last.

vs commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ill vouch for that mate! ive been tinting everything and anything from dirty ass bobcats through to rooftop pyramid skylights for nearly 8.5 years... and i gotta agree with you, even i sometimes screw up a VT-Z rear screen up in the top corners, rarely, but still happens. its good to see another honest tinter that doesnt think they are perfectly faultless 100% of the time. as u said even the most experienced stuff up.
TOTALLY agree with steering clear of the cheap ass autobarn/supercheap film. even if installed properly it wont last.

the film that we sell at supercheap is 3m so it must be alright.maybe u should find out more before u start putting **** on wat companys sell.

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
the film that we sell at supercheap is 3m so it must be alright.maybe u should find out more before u start putting **** on wat companys sell.
not that im casting doubt on your knowledge of stock at supercheap here (as i assume u work there), but since when have Altrex and 3M been linked product wise? And last time i used film from both auto barn and supercheap, it was a dye-based film. Which, if im going to be completely honest here, is more useless than Aquaman.
However, when im wrong, im wrong. And IF altrex are linked to 3M, and the range of said film supplied from 3M is NOT dye-based, i am more than happy to retract my statement, with formal apology and ill even vouch for the product :)