Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tools

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
And now wondering if I do just fork out a few extra dollars and go the biggest bottle of argon or still keep to the 1 size down.... short term pain for longer term cost savings....
I'm thinking both...
For the workshop, a large Argon bottle with a dual flowmeter/regulator for back purging.
Currently have 2 small D bottles for general use, Argon for TIG and AR/CO2 mix for MIG.
They're compact enough to fit in a sedan boot, and both of my machines would probably fit in as well.
I've had the TIG machine and Argon bottle in the passenger footwell of the ute a few times now, as I CBF'd trying to secure them in the tray.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Wanted one of these for a while and finally treated myself to one with the boxing day sales today.
9cHl6J1.jpg

Also grabbed these 1/2" hext sockets as I needed to remove an 11mm hex bung in an oil block and of course I had no 11mm's in the 40 odd bloody allen keys I have here.
MyEMsnx.jpg
I would love one of those! To be fair, who wouldn’t?

I have the same long hex sockets, really handy.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I'm thinking both...
For the workshop, a large Argon bottle with a dual flowmeter/regulator for back purging.
Currently have 2 small D bottles for general use, Argon for TIG and AR/CO2 mix for MIG.
They're compact enough to fit in a sedan boot, and both of my machines would probably fit in as well.
I've had the TIG machine and Argon bottle in the passenger footwell of the ute a few times now, as I CBF'd trying to secure them in the tray.

Yeah, it was suggested that I go for an E Size. So 2nd biggest. But wondering if we just go for the G size.
Going to burn through a bottle or 2 learning anyway.
$474 E Size. 4m^3 and $185 to swap.
$660 G size. 9.5m^3 and $230 to swap.

Basically a new G is more than 2 E's anyway. So by the 2nd G bottle you're ahead of equivalent in the E's anyway.....

Going to do something, may aswell overdo it.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Grabbed these yesterday.

20231230_120451.jpg

Need to adjust the oil injection pump on a PW50 but I'm sure I will find many more uses

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Bought a set of Imperial Offset Ring Spanners.
Nothing special, just a ToolPro Set from SCA while in there for some other things.

And was thinking "hey I dont have a set of ratchet Imperial Spanners" until realising yeah they are just tucked away :oops:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bought these ^^^^^^^ today. Now I have a set of deep 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive metric sockets. I'm finding lately the necessity for thinner walled sockets and ratchets which fit in tighter spaces, and which need less movement between the ratchething teeth. A few mech's have mentioned over the years how 1/2" drives don't cut it like they used too, with cars and other engines fitting in tighter spaces than they used to.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Bought these ^^^^^^^ today. Now I have a set of deep 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive metric sockets. I'm finding lately the necessity for thinner walled sockets and ratchets which fit in tighter spaces, and which need less movement between the ratchething teeth. A few mech's have mentioned over the years how 1/2" drives don't cut it like they used too, with cars and other engines fitting in tighter spaces than they used to.
I bought my 1/4" sockets a few years ago.
Most of my sockets l have are 1/2" & 1/4" drive. I do have some 3/8" , but not many.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thought I'd update this with my latest purchase

1708418568225.jpeg

It's an upper balljoint socket.....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Don't know what people see in crap on tools...

Here's a comparison of a $350 3/8 drive crap on ratchet on the left to a 3/8 drive ratchet I have in a $250 200 piece tool kit I leave in the car.

Pathetic lever to alter the drive direction, broke off, it's that flimsey

1708418713910.jpeg