Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrade sound off stock speakers?

wisc

Reaction score
I've just spent some cash on a new deck for my car. Can't remember the model or specs off the top of my head but i was assured it would support whatever expansion i wanted to do in the future with amps/sub etc...Anyway, i've just blown alot of cash on a holiday and need to do the rest on the cheap...Does anyone know how stock VZ commodore door speakers would perform when integrated with an amp and maybe some 6x9s in the back shelf?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'm not familiar with the standard speakers found in the front doors of a VZ. Without knowing their rated input power, i couldn't say how much of an improvement there would be with the addition of an amplifier. If you amplify a set of 6x9's, assuming that they are semi decent, then they will of course out perform your stock rear speakers. But a side affect, is that you will draw your sound stage towards the rear. If your ok with that, then by all means go for it, but if your planning any future upgrades besides the ones you've already mentioned , then i wouldn't bother. There's no point in putting your biggest, loudest, most expensice ect speakers, the furthest possible distance away from you.

You need to have an overall goal, for your setup. Everything you buy, has to be a part of what is needed to acheive it. If you just buy random things here and there that you can afford, in search of an improvement, then your not going to meet that goal. Philthy said it really well not long ago, your sound system is only as good as your weakest component. So if your only doing this, because you planned on something else, but now you can't afford it, then just wait, and save up,

So next time, just send the missus off on her own holiday by herself, and stay at home working on your car's audio system :smoking:

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
The factory speakers in a vy are 15 watt korean crap, so i guess vz are the same

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The factory speakers in a vy are 15 watt korean crap, so i guess vz are the same

Based on that info, amping the fronts would probably be of no use, if you planned on running them on full pass. The only way i see it being of any benifit, would be if you were to use a 4channel, with a selectabe HPF, so you could run the fronts a bit higher, leaving the 6x9's to do the lower fq duties, at full pass..

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Fonzie on here has his VS sounding pretty decent with standard speakers hi-passed and a couple subs, so they can be made adequate.

If you have the VZ with the subs in the parcel shelf, start by taking them out and you will have an instant improvement.

Apart from that, like HCVP said you could throw some 6x9's in the back for the added bass and hpf the fronts

wisc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, always very helpful. Since posting i realise how pathetic the stocks really are. Went out and picked up a 4 channel amp, and some decent 6x9s for the back and splits for the front.

I'm installing everything at the moment and just wondering if anyone has a suggestion about where to secure the fuse near the battery? Was thinking of finding some free space on the existing fuse box cover.

Also, whats the deal with the 6x9 in VZ parcel shelf...holes in the metal shelf fit them perfectly, but those stupid holes in the board above aren't even close to lining up in size or shape. Had to go all Frankenstein cutting new holes and re-carpet. Anyone know how it's usually done?

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
i believe normally the speakers are mounted to the metal and speaker grills are mounted to the board

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Thats correct 2LOUD, The speakers are mounted to the steel in the shelf and an aftermarket grille is used to mount to the shelf. If you go into any car audio shop they should be able to assist with the purchase of these grilles.

As for the installation of these grilles, there are threads on this if you do a search you will find.
If you have no luck then i will post up a step by step 'How To' if you like.
Hope this helps.

cheers

Simon