Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crankshaft Info

Blazex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec S1 Manual
hey sorry about the following dumb question lol, hopefully someone can clear it up for me.

i got a VN V6 Series 1 (Manual with a M78 GBox) i want to put a VR Calais Motor with that Gbox what problems will i have or can i even do it?

thanks in advance.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
you'll need an 8 bolt flywheel if you want to chuck a vr motor in. Otherwise youll need a s1 manual motor. S1 auto motor you'd need the crank adapter from CRS

Blazex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec S1 Manual
but will the 8 bolt fly fit straight up to my gbox?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yes it will preferbly chuck in a new clutch while your at it theyre cheap. I put a s1 manual in a vp bolted straight up with 8 bolt flywheel

Blazex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec S1 Manual
sweet so the fact the fact that i want to put a AUTO (VR Calais) Engine to a Manual VN S1 engine doesnt amtter or do i just get a manual S2 Motor crank?

sorry for the dumb questions..

Blazex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec S1 Manual
eh nvm just RE Read first post

"The below picture is a VN Series 2-VR Crank, it can be identified by its 8 bolt rear flange that sits flush with the rear of the blocks. These cranks will all interchange both manual flywheels & auto flexplates. If you are doing an auto to manual conversion, this is by far the easiest & best one to do."

just hope my gearbox will match up perfectly lol being a M78 dont know if theirs any differences, better not be lol.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Big ends
Min Standard
2.2487in / 57.117mm
Max Standard
2.2495in / 57.137mm
Main journal
min standard
2.4988in / 63.47mm
Max sfandard
2.4998in / 63.495mm

If yours are near the min standard i suggest regrind or go the plus 1's

yeah they are not too far from the min.. thanks for that...

Blazex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec S1 Manual
sorry to be a pain in the ass lol but will a ECOTEC fit up to my M78 Gbox?

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Did you change from a n/a to n/a V6, or did you convert a super6 to manual ?

It aways pays to have all flywheels mirror balanced to whatever came off the new engine. Whether thats a flexplate or another flywheel, as there maybe a small difference that needs correcting.

Cheers

Deek

n/a v6 auto to n/a v6 manual.

Mal Wood will provide me with a billet flywheel 'with the correct balance'. But doesn't say whether the manual & auto cranks are differently balance as I discussed above. I'm still finding it difficult to get any definitive information from a non-forum source.

It would be interesting to get feedback from people who have done the conversion without mirror-balancing to see if they had vibration.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
sorry to be a pain in the ass lol but will a ECOTEC fit up to my M78 Gbox?

YEs it will with 8 bolt flywheel again balancing of flywheel to match flexplate would be required
n/a v6 auto to n/a v6 manual.

Mal Wood will provide me with a billet flywheel 'with the correct balance'. But doesn't say whether the manual & auto cranks are differently balance as I discussed above. I'm still finding it difficult to get any definitive information from a non-forum source.

It would be interesting to get feedback from people who have done the conversion without mirror-balancing to see if they had vibration.

I have done a vp manual conversion from auto using a series 2 vn flywheel. Would have had it balanced but flexplate was destroyed( centre ripped out) It has no abnormal vibrations. Ecotecs would probably be a different story