Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crankshaft Info

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Cheers Guys good ingo to have here any i got flywheel bolts that came witht he motor but i need flexplate ones so length would have been fine but its good to know

To the bolt shop tomorrow

VNracer34G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Production Saloon, 07Omega ex Cop car, 03 TF V6
:bang: sorry mate, i was thinking of the early VN manual flywheel with only 6 bolts

for future reference they are a 7/16 UNF bolt (20 TPI) x 1" (25mm) with a shallow head

which is same as chev/ford small block, i got a set of ARP ones dirt cheap cos they make such high volumes of the part # 100-2801 for the set of 6

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
which is same as chev/ford small block, i got a set of ARP ones dirt cheap cos they make such high volumes of the part # 100-2801 for the set of 6

good info, picked up a set today for about NZ$15

tj24fmx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive s1
help please

Here is some info regarding the differences in flywheels.
The series 1 vn came out with a 6 bolt centre.The pcd is Approx 90 mm and weighs 10.1 kg.The flywheel has a bias weight on the back of it..... so it is unbalanced.( to help balance the motor) One bolt hole is slightly different ( offset) to the others so it can only go on one way.

i have a vn s1 auto that im converting to a vn s1 manual, just wondering if i use the crank adaptor from crs for the 6 bolt fly wheel do i need to get it balanced? and by balancing do you mean the whole engine and flywheel of just the fly wheel. another thing if like you said the s1 6 bolt flywheels are bias balanced, meaning unbalanced how do you balance them?
one last thing is it possible to get the flywheel machined to reduce the weight of it to increase how quickly the car revs?

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
I have one such crank adaptor..... not a crappy CRS one though.

Seen it in a sig around here somewhere.........................

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
you would need to balance the entire rotating assembly because the buick is externally balanced. so that means crank + flywheel (and clutch pressure plate) + harmonic balancer.

yes, you can machine the flywheel to reduce weight. however, the weight in the flywheel helps to smooth out the engine so you don't want to go to light.

you could balance the flywheel by itself if you knew the exact weight to offset the bias weight already in the flywheel but it would be pointless as you need to balance the entire rotating assembly. the only time you would want to do this was if you were fitting a new pressure plate and wanted to maintain the balance from the old pressure plate. don't know anybody that does that though

tj24fmx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive s1
o.k so to balance the entire rotating assembly would i be able to do this myself or would any descent mechanic be able to do it? can you balance it with the engine still in the car?
also how do they externally balance the entire rotating assembly?
is it costly and is it done without pulling the engine to pieces?
thank you for your help immortality.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
you need to remove the rotating assembly to balance it and it needs to be done by a machine shop with the right equipment. you can do some balance work at home with regards to weight of the indervidual parts like pistons and rods (match weight balance) however some know-how and equipment required like digital scales and balance rig for the rods.

a internally balance rotating assembly use neutral balance flywheel and balancer. for a externally balanced assembly there are extra weights on the harmonic balancer and/or flywheel. to check and alter the rotating assembly, they spin the crank up on a special rig with weights bolted on the big ends to simulate the rods/pistons. they then drill the counter weights to remove weight or add some heavy metal to increase the weight. a heavy metal balance job is expensive but would only be required if extremely heavy duty pistons/rods are used that are really heavy.

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Does anyone know the flywheel part numbers or how are they identifiable vissually?

I am putting an Ecotec into a boat and have purchased a series 2, 8 bolt flywheel but do not know if it is Vr series 2 or VS series 2 etc.

how can you tell the difference by looking at them?

I don't really want to fit the whole thing in and find out that the boat vibrates like crazy

My flywheel part number is 92061852 if that helps

Cheers Andy

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride