Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 power increase

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A word of advice, you need to have a think on how much you are willing to spend overall. For example, do you fit an LSD? If yes I don't know what one would cost but if doing it right you would want to fit shorter gears. I am fitting some later this year and it will set me back close to $800 with the SH 3.45's that are costing me $200.
Edit: You also need to consider whether you upgrade the brakes. Do you go all out a fit a VT or VE kit, or do you get some decent rotors and pads and add braided lines all round. Then need to think about the suspension, how much do you want to spend on that? It can really add up as I have found and still have a long way to go.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey @Matey have you made a start on the build yet? I'm keen to hear how it is all going.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
Hi @Matey are you just going off what the original build specs of the engine from factory are? If so spend $150 depending on who you go to and have a power graph plotted on the dyno then you actually know what you have power wise. Tuning is one of the biggest increase if the tuner knows what there doing and don't just charge you for doing nothing. Intake and exhaust what ever brand extractors you can afford are fine and 2.5" Exhaust with straight through offset muffler and rear resonator is probably the best fitted with a100 cell cat converter. Don't forget high ratio Rockies as they make no difference and there are no camshafts that are made to run the high ratio stick with standard. If your car is unmodified get a power graph as is. Then fit a CAI of your choice and high flow air filter then the exhaust and get another power graph and see what gains you have made and go from there if it's still not enough then you have the main things done already so they won't need changing. Good luck

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi @Matey Don't forget high ratio Rockies as they make no difference and there are no camshafts that are made to run the high ratio stick with standard.

Ummmm I'm a tad confused, are you speaking from experience or here-say? I have hi ratio rockers and the HP increase was quite noticeable even through the pedal. The Mace CAI is by far the best on the market as it's the best at bringing in cool air to the intake. Pacemakers work the best as they have the longest runners compared to others on the market. Just on the hi ratio rockers, I beg to differ on compatibility with large cams, all you do is run shorter push rods. I have rockers, Pacies and Mace CAI, so can speak from experience.

As for a tune, I fitted a fairly aggressive tune and with no other mods the difference I couldn't tell. Fitting Pacies made it marginally better, adding Mace CAI and the improvement was night and day. Fitting rockers and the improvement was really noticeable. Heads are next on my list.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi @Matey are you just going off what the original build specs of the engine from factory are? If so spend $150 depending on who you go
Who does dyno run and graph for $150? I'd be keen at that price. I have found that it's close to $300, that's why I have not done it yet and am waiting until I get my heads ported and valves reshaped.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
This is relatively stock v6 running to strict race rules can port match the intake and do a valve job cam has to be stock lift but can add duration has stock cast manifolds as not allowed aftermarket extractors even still has the stock airbox and panel filter haha 140rwkw
47357518_10210744131194023_4435450380557484032_o.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This is relatively stock v6 running to strict race rules can port match the intake and do a valve job cam has to be stock lift but can add duration has stock cast manifolds as not allowed aftermarket extractors even still has the stock airbox and panel filter haha 140rwkwView attachment 209140

Far out I need to do a tune for me. I can't see myself having those figures prior to fitting rockers and CAI.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Who does dyno run and graph for $150? I'd be keen at that price. I have found that it's close to $300, that's why I have not done it yet and am waiting until I get my heads ported and valves reshaped.

Usually you wait until some shop has a dyno day, get the run for cheaper.