Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 power increase

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I think what someguy360 means is if what you ultimately want is a v8 then do a v8 before spending tonne of coin on the v6 long term.

We're all going to mess around on cars....just make sure you can stick to the goal & budget that you want to achieve.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think what someguy360 means is if what you ultimately want is a v8 then do a v8 before spending tonne of coin on the v6 long term.
And if going V8 buy a factory V8 bus. Conversions are ok but tend to be much more costly unless you have a fair amount of time and skill as well as a proper place to do the work, as well as a donor vehicle. Buying parts individually will cost a mint.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pro's & cons whichever way you decide to go hence making a plan & budget important then sticking to it.

People look at me like I got screws loose rebuilding/fixing then driving old holden bombs instead of just buying something much new.....sometimes I completely agree with them haha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Easy enough to make a budget but sticking to it is a problem. I have blown the budget big time and I'm still not there yet.
Just keep topping it up as needed. My budget tends to be on a fortnightly to monthly budget these days. If i want a big purchase them it becomes a part of the six monthy budget......

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
ultimately want is a v8 then do a v8 before spending tonne of coin on the v6 long term.
The guy with the v10 just laughs at the guy with the v8 & says your wasting your time, get a v10.
Then there is the guy with the v12 & he says your wasting your time get a v12.
Then there is the guy with the v6 thats been rebuilt by a guy who builds race engines, & the other guys say fck whats he got under the hood?:rolleyes:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Myself i actually enjoy playing with the V6, just like i enjoy my 59hp RD 400. Sure i could upgrade the bike to a 1000cc modern and something that has 180hp and the modern brakes and suspension. Same with my ute but like GTR I enjoy messing around with old jalopys.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Nah we got hipster management in all kinds exotics in work carpark...they barely get noticed when something ol' skool rolls in.

Although main competition is who can fit every single 4wd accessory possible to their new Ranger lease car yet never go bush

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Money wise its a big waste, but if the OP is like me and likes playing around with old buses and bikes it's not about the money, it's about having fun. In reality the amount of coin needed to get any VR into something decent could be as much something much newer with an LS. I mean lets face it you can extract 400+ HP out of the Buick but then you need another $8k to upgrade to decent brakes and suspension. Plus another $9k because the paint will need doing, then another $2-3k fitting out a Stato interior with all the mod cons of that period.
Nah its the joy of playing with toys that never leaves some blokes is what it is, just they get more exi in adulthood.

Yeah , if only dollars verses go never modify a car .
But if there's a passion and commitment to a particular vechice and accept it's yours = stands out or at least puts a smile on your dial = then winning.
If you're extremely lucky you find someone who's willing to buy at your price when you're done with it = ( highly unlikely).
It's all about the the enjoyment of making it your own and modifying car!!!!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah , if only dollars verses go never modify a car .
But if there's a passion and commitment to a particular vechice and accept it's yours = stands out or at least puts a smile on your dial = then winning.
If you're extremely lucky you find someone who's willing to buy at your price when you're done with it = ( highly unlikely).
It's all about the the enjoyment of making it your own and modifying car!!!!!
The thing is with my bus is i know it pretty well now and i have ironed out most of the creases. Shame in a way i didn't make my original purchase a V8 ute instead of the V6. But unfortunately the 304s are not without some faults that are very costly to rectify, and a lot more than the Buick too.
Plus someone who has a lot of patience except when it comes to doing work on cars a V8 Dore is probably not a sound choice for me anyway...... lol. The V6 lacks room as it is. I think if i had a V8 there would be a lot of cursing in my build thread.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I owned both and my modded V6 would run circles around the 185i Senator and was more fun with the manual box so I'm not biased at all...