Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 versus straight 6

V

vnberlwagon

If Holden were able to make a 3.8lt straight six would it make more torque than a 3.8lt V6. Also, if it was possible to make a straight 8 would that be more powerful than a V8?:dance:

Blair_355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
there is straight 8's.
I think we could do without a 4 metre long bonnet on our commy.

V

vnberlwagon

I wasn't necessarily saying that straight eights could go into commy's in the future, just asking about the possible power differences.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Striaght 6's have been more smooth running which was their big advantage in my opinion...but its no so much the case anymore.

Power is more dependant on displacement and compression rather than configuration. Configuration will normally effect the power curves more than the peak outputs...But again no 1 configuration is particularly ahead for this.
Straight 6's can supposedly produce better torque curves because they have a very long crankshaft in comparison to a V6. Longer crankshaft acts like a big flywheel that holds lots of power = longer torque curve.

But both the Alloytec and the Buick V6's used in commodores have excellent torque curves, ones which very few Straight 6's could compete with.

However, a V6 is much better for racing and they are GENERALLY more reliable. Formula 1 etc. all use V engines.

In a 6 cylinder a Straight alignment is fine. Anything more such as Straight 8 or 10 or 12....then you get major balance issues plus the engine will b incredibly long and inline engines are taller also. So its not logical at all for anything above a 6 cylinder, and in a 4 cylinder the best design is probably the boxer engine.

Also with Straight 6's there is a higher centre of gravity, unlike the boxer engines and V6 engines. Personally i would always prefer a V6 over a Straight 6.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
If you want to split hairs:-
1] If you have twin cam heads then an inline six has marginally less friction offset by the fact that an inline six needs more main brgs for stiffness as there have been 4 main brg inline sixes.
2] A 'V' configuration has a stiffer crank.
3] A 'V' configuration usually requires a balance shaft to correct the slight rocking motion.
4] A 'V' configuration creates more hassels when designing a variable length manifold.
5] A 'V' configuration requires twice as many components to operate variable valve timing.
6] Easier to fit a single turbo charger to an inline six.

ascension24

Reaction score
A v6 is more compact, length wise (bit obvious I know but its something you take into consideration when designing a car)

The straight 6 is smoother then a V6, because of the way the pistons fire.

4 cyls are the worst, even in new cars, when you are idling at the lights you can still notice the vibrations at the lights. Because you have longitudinal and horizontal vibrations caused by the pistons which arnt really being offset.

The best configuration is a V12 for smoothness, and you'll notice in the olden days, say 20 years ago. All the top prestige cars were V12's for the sake of smoothness.

These days with balancer shafts and all the technology its not such a big deal. But a balancer shaft on a V6 will still sap power where the straight 6 doesnt need one. (or to an extent as the V6)

V

vnberlwagon

Boxer engine

1991_Vn2nV said:
How about a 3.8L boxer 6 in the Commodores?
Ok, forgive my lack of knowledge, a boxer configuration is or isn't better than a straight six, why? Just for my own interest.