Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Transmission service procedure & oil advice

JETURBO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF R8 SV
Ok just to help anyone else who might read this thread ( sorry OP for derailment ) but i fitted this all up yesterday with a engine service and diff service at the same time.

Now in one word .... FIXED... yep that flare,miss,free rev feeling in between gears that i had since brand new is fully 100% gone !

I’ve done some crude clearance checks before and after and the camaro pan is still NOT the lowest parts of a standard height VF R8 SV LS3 powered vehicle, the cat flange still is ;)

I’ve used Gulf Western SYN-Ts transmission oil which is Dex6 compatible and used a digital lazer temp gun for correct filling procedures ( nearly identical to the ford ZF transmission requirements that i would do around 3-4 a month of so it was a walk in the park )

So extremely happy with the transmission and the way it should of been from factory ! My clubby is 100% stock standard and is my daily workshop R&D vehicle that’s never been R&D’d yet lol ( too busy doing the turbo fords like normal ) but is now at 70,000kms. The old oil was actually in very good condition when it drained down

I highly recommend this modification to anyone with a 6L80e transmission fitted holden platform :)

Just for anyone keeping tabs the oil is about $180 for 20ltrs
The pan and gasket came in at $95
And doing the transmission only even being generous would take a workshop 2hrs labour maximum so all said and done sub $500 really ( obviously i did it in the shed and had multiple barrels of the oil so cost me like $95 and the Saturday morning whilst cleaning up and tinkering )

Here’s some pictures

Stock

Stock clearance to lowest point

Comparison

Temp checking and using the Mylink dash thingo that was showing same/same

New clearance would be around 5-7mm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
glad you're autos behaving itself now and working properly, holden should have used that pan in the first place
nothing worse than putting the foot down and it feels like its in neutral, and free reving to 6600, my 30 year old trimatic worked better ( well maybe slipped sometimes ,slow to change ect) but never a neutral in drive
cheers mate

Gavkat09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy sv8
If the Camaro pan only holds 1lt more, spend the money and fit a good transmission cooler as it will add around 1lt to the oil capacity (mine took another litre with the cooler) as the cooler will give more benefits than the 1lt in the oil pan. I plumbed it in series after the factory cooler through the radiator and trans temps barely get over 60°c even in heavy traffic and my 3600rpm converter. On the freeway with the converter locked temps drop down into the mid 50°

If your concern is oil surge under launch, add 0.5lt to the pan when you fill it. My car runs mid 11's and I haven't had any issues with the standard pan and that's doing 1.6seconds to 60'.

Why not do the deep pan and the transmission cooler together

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..