Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Transmission service procedure & oil advice

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Just a clarification on the procedure, you don't bring it up to normal temp (>85°), must be under 50°. Big mistake, all too common. Means fluid is expanded hence under filled.
If anything plug up the hole and give ok t an extra couple of squirts.
95184862-BE8E-4AAA-B995-8B4433374018.jpeg

Also if you haven't heard of it before, the trans pan is a poor compromise by Holden, should use 6L80 pan off Camaro or other sedan which is full size.
Use replacement filter from LSA (6L90) as it is deeper and has a wider mouth. Hence more cool fluid helps trans last longer.
I did this five years ago, tranny has lasted twice its service life under heavy duty.
7401C868-0669-45E9-B2FE-85F06016B168.jpeg

Oh and while you're down there... may as well drop the diff fluid, flush a wee bit and refill.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
^^
That looks like you are at Virginia?
Welcome back.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
^^
That looks like you are at Virginia?
Welcome back.
Yeah thanks, was bizarre and unnecessary, I'll follow up on that.
Scott is one hell of a dedicated engineer. The best I've come across nationally. Good concentration of Pro guys Virginia through the Peninsula.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Knew you were there by the pic.
I`ll be getting a bigger pan on the V6 soon I hope so will be going to him.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
External trans cooler is a solid investment as well. Heat is what kills autos.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
External trans cooler is a solid investment as well. Heat is what kills autos.

A MUST when pushing extra power through IMO. More power = more friction in the converter = more heat = more melty bits.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
A MUST when pushing extra power through IMO. More power = more friction in the converter = more heat = more melty bits.
I would say yes to additional external if were towing or convertor (trans tune) was set to slip / aftermarket high stall to compensate for race cam at normal rpm, but the stock setup with more fluid, deeper pan and wide mouth filter does the trick I found. No need to carry more weight and complication.
Over five or six years with near twice stock power, convertor loosened to slip and start in second gear, lugging ~500kg daily in a wagon.
Heat is definitely the killer and an external is insurance just noting a pan and filter cost $150 easy to swap at service, done 320k km and still logs as expected.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
It just doesn't make sense to me to "cool" trans fluid with coolant running at round 100deg. Cooling with ambient air which maxes out at half that temp makes much more sense.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
It just doesn't make sense to me to "cool" trans fluid with coolant running at round 100deg. Cooling with ambient air which maxes out at half that temp makes much more sense.

Factory stuff often uses coolant as it's less about "cooling" and more about "maintaining correct operating range". You don't want the fluid too cool as it put the viscosity out of optimal. Coolant is regularly used for transmission coolers as it's "about right" - somewhere between 95 and 110 degrees depending on the car. You want to keep the trans fluid temp under 115 or 120 or so but you don't want to over-cool it either otherwise there's more "drag" internally with a thicker viscosity.

Performance oriented vehicles this matters less as they're often pushed fairly hard which means there's less hassle maintaining temp.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Cheers everyone. Thanks heaps for all the replies & feedback. Very much Appreciated.
Happy New Year to all as well!

You might be able to buy the mobil gear from the stealerships. I have a few friends that needed it for their Grands and were having trouble getting hold it in Sydney.
Yeah i tried ringing everywhere around Melbourne and no one seems to either hold it or even know what i was talking about LOL.
Mobil direct did give me a telephone number for a distributor in Altona but they are closed until mid January i think.

A trans shop up here recommended the AC Delco dex 6. They reckon it’s as good as any aftermarket fluid and it’s cheap. 20L drum cost me less than $100 from holden. My box is stalled with a brutal tune & lock up settings and I drag race it at least once a month & have since new. i’ve never had a problem, temps are on the low side of the range and both fluid changes the fluid was still in prime condition. For my mind the factory fluid is the go
I almost picked up the AC Delco oil as well but the ones Holden brought out did not say Full Synthetic not them as the bottles i saw from the USA....Not sure if our Aussie versions just dont say it on the bottle?
ps. yes the procedure is the same as you’ve described ie same as in a ve
Awesome great to hear that. Thanks.

Just a clarification on the procedure, you don't bring it up to normal temp (>85°), must be under 50°. Big mistake, all too common. Means fluid is expanded hence under filled.
If anything plug up the hole and give ok t an extra couple of squirts.
Also if you haven't heard of it before, the trans pan is a poor compromise by Holden, should use 6L80 pan off Camaro or other sedan which is full size.
Use replacement filter from LSA (6L90) as it is deeper and has a wider mouth. Hence more cool fluid helps trans last longer.
I did this five years ago, tranny has lasted twice its service life under heavy duty.
Oh and while you're down there... may as well drop the diff fluid, flush a wee bit and refill.
Hey monstar great to see you back on!
Cheers thanks for all the additional info.
Ok so for the temp to keep it around 50 degrees after starting it up leave it for around 5 mins to reach 50 degrees or less or more time??
Ohhh didn't know i could swap to the Camaro & LSA filter.