Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Transmission service procedure & oil advice

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
If yours is a WM then your best way to check trans temp is using the Engineering Mode on the dash BTW.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
If yours is a WM then your best way to check trans temp is using the Engineering Mode on the dash BTW.
Its a WN model so has the VF interior. Not sure if you can access Engineering Mode from the VF dash?? I have no idea to be honest.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok no. But most OBD apps will read Transmission Fluid Temp.
I do own one of those wireless OBD ports which connects via your phone...but i have never tested it on WN.
Will give it a go and see if the App i own can read the Trans temp.

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
I do own one of those wireless OBD ports which connects via your phone...but i have never tested it on WN.
Will give it a go and see if the App i own can read the Trans temp.
I use the dash command app and wifi obd2 port adapter and had to buy the extra GM PID’s to get trans temp the free version doesn’t have it. I’d doubt you’d get the temp up without driving it for 10 mins or so after the coolant reaches operating temp so don’t stress to much about warming the trans fluid up. It would be bloody handy if someone brought out a reliable aftermarket trans dipstick kit for the VF! I wonder if there’s any hi / low switch in the TCM? Would be even better to be able to check fluid level on the dash..

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I use the dash command app and wifi obd2 port adapter and had to buy the extra GM PID’s to get trans temp the free version doesn’t have it. I’d doubt you’d get the temp up without driving it for 10 mins or so after the coolant reaches operating temp so don’t stress to much about warming the trans fluid up. It would be bloody handy if someone brought out a reliable aftermarket trans dipstick kit for the VF! I wonder if there’s any hi / low switch in the TCM? Would be even better to be able to check fluid level on the dash..
Nah that’s the thing, with fluid running through radiator gets heated by coolant at 87°+ so it ramps up really quickly.
On an ambient of say 32° today it is sort of difficult to stop the trans warming too fast (>50°) whilst topping.
To be clear the issue is having to wait for TFT to cool back down once it’s been energised past 50° in 32° heat and 500° cats either side.
Got to do with the magic of Dexron VI, synthetic ATF can take hours to normalise to previous volume. Biggest problem (and money spinner) over the years is not watching TFT and inadvertently underfilling.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
I use the dash command app and wifi obd2 port adapter and had to buy the extra GM PID’s to get trans temp the free version doesn’t have it.
Thank you.
I have bought the Dash Command app but still have never used it as yet. I havnt bought any of its in-App purchases either so i will look into the GM ones as you mentioned thanks.
Ive got the other app Auto Doctor as well so i might give that one a go first and see if it can read Trans temp or not.

Martin53

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE
Ok no. But most OBD apps will read Transmission Fluid Temp.

Hi, which obd apps can read transmission temp? I have 2011 VE and autohil axw scanner but not able to find such an app..

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
It would be bloody handy if someone brought out a reliable aftermarket trans dipstick kit for the VF!

I have one on my car and had three for sale earlier in the year. Janetty Racing in the USA make them for 6L80E and 6L90E and they fit well. :) I fitted mine before I added the transmission cooler so I could confirm the level before and adjust correctly afterwards. :)

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Hi, which obd apps can read transmission temp? I have 2011 VE and autohil axw scanner but not able to find such an app..
There is one OBDii application that seems to read Trans Temp, called TORQUE. I don't think it works for Apple, via WiFi, only Android via Bluetooth.

EDIT: I just found another on the App Store (Apple) that is called 'Car Scanner ELM OBD2', that has an image of a dial with ATF Temp next to Coolant Temp. Might be another option.

I use Dash Command and I can confirm no Trans Temp.

Attachments

• screenshot-1.jpg
    screenshot-1.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 332