Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Auto trans service

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE, 09 of 2008, Omega, Auto, 3.6 Litre, 6 Cylinder
From what I've read it seems to be that case that transmisison fluid is changed when its hot. What are the issues with doing it when its cold? (so I don't burn myself)

Also, I brought 4 litres of Castrol Dex VI (6) for $86 from one retailer. I can buy 4 litres of Penrite Dex 6 for $69 from another. Is there any problem with using two different brands in the one service?

thanks

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You don't need to have it hot to change it. It needs to be hot to check the level once you refill it. Mixing different brands = mixing different chemicals dependent on their mix.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for that.

One other thing I would like to know. I have a read a thread in the VT - VX section, "Transmission fluid change" that the fluid from the torque converter can be drained by disconnecting the hose that runs from the front of the transmission to the radiator and letting the fluid empty into a container. The OP said that the engine would splutter when the fluid had been drained out of the trans.

This seems like a good idea to me but I would'nt want to run the transmission dry. What would happen it did run out of fluid? .Has anyone had any experience with draining the fluid and torque converter on a VE using this method?

thanks for replies

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I got a tranny flush on the VS awhile ago which I didn`t know could be done.
Gets the rest of old fluid out.

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
I found a video where a bloke shows how this can be done. He used the same fluid but he kept pouring new fluid in until the new fluid started coming out but at Dex 6 prices I think I'd want to use a cheap stuff to get the old stuff out but how to then get the cheap stuff out to put the Dex 6 in I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I have had a good mechanic friend told me if you ever service a Holden ve tranny, always get the tranny fluid from Holden as all other after market brands can't be compared to the genuine stuff.
He also mentioned since these trannies are made by some Europien car company and they only really like the original fluid as aftermarket brands like castrol, penrite etc cant be conpared to thr oroginal fluid it comes with so if you do a tranny fluid change, go to a Holden healer and buy the OEM fluid for it.

Can anyone shed some light on this as I'm confused about which brand of fluid to use

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Interesting, i have heard a few different sides to the story depending on which box you have. When i talked to the local auto tranny shop he said he would actually prefer to run dex 3 in my car, i have the 4sp auto. He reckons the 4 speed was designed to run on dex3 and runs smoother on it and lasts longer, but holden just decided to specify dex6 for it because they had a patent on it so they make money on the fluid because you have to buy it from holden. Holden wouldnt do that would they?
Which box have you got?

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I've got the same mate, a 4 speed box in my ve. I never heard that it could possibly run it on dex 3 oil.
My mechanic flipped out when I said I wanted to an aftermarket oil for my tranny as there no way near good as the OEM fluid. Ill ring up Holden and see how much they sell there OEM trans oil for.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Mixing different brands = mixing different chemicals dependent on their mix.

Noo....he said they are both Dex 6 so it would be like mixing Evian water with Mt Franklin water.

Go ahead and mix them, they are both exactly the same stuff.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I found a video where a bloke shows how this can be done. He used the same fluid but he kept pouring new fluid in until the new fluid started coming out but at Dex 6 prices I think I'd want to use a cheap stuff to get the old stuff out but how to then get the cheap stuff out to put the Dex 6 in I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY

To get the old stuff out they drain the tranny, fill it up with new stuff then run it a while then drain it again.

The maths: if your tranny holds 5 litres and you drain 4 litres out that leaves 1 litre in the system, you then put 4 litres in makes the content of the tranny 20% old fluid 80% new fluid. drain 4 litres out agin and top up with 4 litres of new means from the 1 litre that remained only 200ml is old fluid so the mix then is 96% new fluid 4 % old fluid.

Last edited: