Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Brake Light Switch Adjustment

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Good aye all.
Is there a way of adjusting the sensitivity or position of the brake light switch? Or the brake pedal itself? My cruise control is not always activating, however if I pull the pedal back with my foot it will operate normally again. It must be only a matter of a mm or 2. There seems little to no adjustment on the switch itself or am I missing something?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
possibly the switch is worn, or needs cleaning, there is a small amount of adjustment available

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
are they the type of switch that has teeth each side and u just push it in till it stops on the pedal then it should be good..? so it may have some adjustment or as mentioned might just need replacing

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi 07GTS. No, they look a little like a tuning fork.

I've been to Holden and asked about a brake relearn procedure, which they can do but were surprised I had a problem with it.
I'm starting to think I'm overthinking this. As the cruise works every time if I lift the brake pedal with my foot I'm thinking maybe I should be checking the spring/return mechanism because if the brake pedal was returned fully everything would work as it should. Just need to work out what makes the brake pedal return to it's home position.

Attachments

• VE Comm Brake Light Switch.jpg
    VE Comm Brake Light Switch.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,147
Last edited:

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Maybe see if the centre rear brake light comes on when your cruise control won't activate. If it's canning the cruise then you'll see the light (if it can be seen from in the car....)

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I've put a multimeter on the switch and I'm not all that happy with the way it reads, (a little inconsistent) so I've ordered a new one. Will report as to my success with the new switch. Thanks all.

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
UPDATE : New switch arrived yesterday. Put a ohm meter on the old one and compared to the new one, same result (it seems to be a variable resistor type switch, values would change as the lever was moved). So I'm thinking that purchase was a waste. Anyway, put the new switch in and found the brake light switch would work perfectly for about three seconds, then the lights would come on with no pressure on the brake pedal. Every time. So I reached up behind to the top of switch and held it from one extreme to the other and at one extreme it operated correctly. So I loosened the screw and tightened it up and now it seems to work perfectly. ABS, ESC and CC working perfectly again. No RELEARN required. The adjustment range was probably 0.5mm, but that small amount made all the difference.
HINT : Put boot lid up so you can see reflection of upper brake light in back window in daylight.
Thanks all for your help and advice.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
UPDATE : New switch arrived yesterday. Put a ohm meter on the old one and compared to the new one, same result (it seems to be a variable resistor type switch, values would change as the lever was moved). So I'm thinking that purchase was a waste. Anyway, put the new switch in and found the brake light switch would work perfectly for about three seconds, then the lights would come on with no pressure on the brake pedal. Every time. So I reached up behind to the top of switch and held it from one extreme to the other and at one extreme it operated correctly. So I loosened the screw and tightened it up and now it seems to work perfectly. ABS, ESC and CC working perfectly again. No RELEARN required. The adjustment range was probably 0.5mm, but that small amount made all the difference.
HINT : Put boot lid up so you can see reflection of upper brake light in back window in daylight.
Thanks all for your help and advice.

same issue with mine when I bought it, cruise fine somedays then next wouldn't work. Must be as you say .5mm and all good.