Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE GTS exhaust upgrade.

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Mattyk_12, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Mattyk_12

Mattyk_12 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE HSV 08 GTS
    hey hows it going everyone. I hoping I'm posting this in the right section. I have been scanning around forums for quite a while now but have never thought to post something but here it goings.
    I have been looking into upgrading the exhaust on my 08 ve auto gts. but after reading countless forums and talking to different dealers they all seem to be recommending completely different systems. the full plans for the car is just a decent exhaust, otr with a maffless tune and maybe tweak the auto a little so its a little more responsive. so far that is all i want to do but I'm sure ill want more once that is done haha.
    I originally started looking into a full 3 inch system from the extractors, mild steel with 4 into 1 extractors. but since then I have been told I should go all different types of set ups and I've become quite confused. I was hoping anyone could help me on what would be the best set up. I want it reasonable loud, don't mind a little bit of drone but i would prefer none. wondering what sort of works best and does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Big-Al

Big-Al Banned

Members Ride:
    VY SS 5.7 M6
    what sort of budget do you have?

3. Mattyk_12

Mattyk_12 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE HSV 08 GTS
    about 3 and a half is probably the most i will spend on a exhaust but i would prefer to get something a bit cheaper if its still decent quality. also i would be looking for just bolt up I can pull a car apart and put it together no problems but give me a welder and I'm lost.

4. Big-Al

Big-Al Banned

Members Ride:
    VY SS 5.7 M6
    You should be able to get something decent for that price. I'd go a 3 inch stainless system with mild steel 4 into 1s.
    KPM make good systems or you could get something custom made at a performance exhaust shop like I did.
    Steer clear of x-force, they make **** exhaust systems that drone.

5. mikey-

mikey- Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Sportwagon
  6. Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
    Seeing as you are in Perth, chase up "not an abba fan" on this forum. He is the Perth exhaust guru.
    I have an Exforce 2 1/2" cat back on my VE GTS, and am quite happy with that. It may not be loud enough for you though.
    For $3,500, you should be able to get all of what you want done( tune, exhaust) if you are only going cat back.

7. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    In Perth. Maybe speak to Brett at formula tech. I drive past their shops everyday and they change more exhausts than I do underpants. They will definitely have something to suit your needs

8. Mattyk_12

Mattyk_12 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE HSV 08 GTS
    i might look in the kpm exhausts. i was looking at getting a full hurricane system but the guy said that i would get quite a bit of drone in the cabin. that was for the full 3 inch anyway.

mikey where abouts did you find the difillipo for that price. pretty much the cheapest i have see was about $5000

yeah it doesnt need to be over the top loud i would prefer not to be pulled over every time i pass a cop car. i think im pretty set on getting a full 3 inch in case later on down the track i decide to go for a cam.
    has anyone got a full 3 inch hurricane system and if so what does it sound like and what is the drone like is it as bad as the dealer said it might be?

9. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    I have a special going until the end of April, 4-1, 1 7/8" primary extractors, high flow metallic cats and a twin 2 1/2" Manta cat back for $2260. If you are set on 3" I can do the same package with the 3" system for $2550.

I can have it delivered to you or you can pick it up from the warehouse in Bentley.

10. Mattyk_12

Mattyk_12 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE HSV 08 GTS
    Not_An_Abba_Fan what would you believe is a better choice for the car the 2.5 inch or the 3 inch? will still be fine with a 2.5 if i was to just get a mild cam later down the track?

11. AD07

AD07 Member

Members Ride:
    VE CALAIS V 6.0
    Kpm & Difillipo are waaaay over-priced in my opinion.
    Basically, anything over about $2750 for a full system is a joke i reckon !!!

12. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    A twin 2 1/2" is good to about 450hp/335kW, I prefer the 2 1/2" note on street cars anyway. Not ridiculously loud when you get into it, bugger all drone and fairly quiet when cruising.

Unless you go a huge cam or FI, then in my opinion, 2 1/2" is fine.

13. Mattyk_12

Mattyk_12 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE HSV 08 GTS
    yeah I think I might take you up on the deal for the 2.5 inch system. how do i get in contact with you? also does $2260 include delivering it I'm in south lake? do i need the o2 sensor extensions or will it all bolt straight up?

14. arronm

arronm Active Member

Members Ride:
    FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
    That price seems a bargain, and looks to suit your needs. Good luck with it.

15. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    PM replied to.

It comes with everything you need to bolt it to the car except the bolts holding the extractors to the head, you re-use the originals. It also comes with the LHS O2 sensor extension. If you look at the thread mikey linked, there are pictures of it in there.

16. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Coal Miner

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Redline 2012
    Ok, so your down the pub with your mates, you've called your girlfriend to pick you up as you've been drinking all afternoon.
    She rocks up in your ute/car as a nice girl would, your mates go, "**** bro, nice rig, what size exhaust you running on that beast"
    You look to the sky and say, "its 2.5 inch" "well some wanker on a forum told me a 2.5 inch will do the job, my girl said size doesn't matter, its all about you and how you feel".

Like ####, go big or go home.

No offence abba or op, just sayin.

17. mikey-

mikey- Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Sportwagon
    http://www.exhaustshop.com.au/holde...wagon-di-filippo-complete-sports-exhaust-kit/

I'm not convinved it is $1200 better than the system NAAF is suggesting, but if I had money to burn, I'd want the Difilippo one haha.

Also, I'm just over in Bibra Lake, if the full twin 2.5" Manta system is tempting you, feel free to listen or look at to mine in person.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  18. Yergin

Yergin New Member

Members Ride:
    2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
    If that's the case i suppose you'll be getting one of those massive bazooka exhausts tips the 4cyl turbo muppets buy as why have 2 dual 3" tips when you have dual bazzoka tips!....

It's a case of what works for you and your needs -- me i only need 2.5" as i'm only doing OTR and Exhaust. won't be doing cam or supercharger.
    why spend an extra amount i don't need to to get another .5"

also your example "my girl said size don't matter"... if it's a foot long and 2.5" round i'm sure she'll take that over one that's 3" round and just as long, just saying lol

19. Mattyk_12

Mattyk_12 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE HSV 08 GTS
    cheers mikey but i ended up going the manta system from NAAF it should go well for what i want. i hopefully will have it on friday. ill post how it goes

20. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    Mikey has the same system Matt, I think he was suggesting you have a listen to his so you know what yours will sound like.

And Willy, I see most of your posts are filled with sensible and useful information.