Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HVAC actuator replacement.

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by cruelass, Mar 28, 2014.

1. cruelass

cruelass Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SS
    I have a 07 SS and took it to the dealer for usual 6 month service. Mentioned to them that the HVAC fan speed control wheel seemed to be playing up as it stopped and started and went to full speed than back to where it should after a couple mins of driving. They did the service and reported they couldnt find any issues but explained that the battery may at fault and replace it ($285). i got one for $185 and that fixed the fan speed problem.. but since getting it back from the dealer it was making a clicking type noise under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Also it seemed that the vent controls were not working as I had nothing from the footwell vents and all air seemed to come from the the central vents and the demister vents near the screen. As well as no hot air coming through. All this was in working order before i took it to them for the service.
    I took the car back up to them to have a look at and they say that nothing they have done would cause this and informed that I would need a new re-circ door as well as a new actuator up under the dash. the quoted price to fix this would be $410.
    So do I have any comeback for them to repair this?. If so whats the best way to go about it?.
    If I end up having to fix it has anyone had to replace these and do you have part numbers.
    I found this on ebay and wonder if all the actuators for mixing under the dash are the same.
    Genuine Holden VE Commodore Heater Actuator Motors Various USE | eBay

2. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    Common Ve fault so you can't blame them really.

Replaced one on our VESS late09. That's the right one(part), I bought at local holden dealer for $16 from memory.

There's several under the dash, this sound same as ours centre vents and demist only, this is a prick of a thing to change have to pull quite a bit of dash apart and the unit is akward to get 2. Be around 2hrs work if you do it ya self bastard to get one screw out you'll need a 90 degree rachet screw driver

3. cruelass

cruelass Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SS
    Yeah figure theres not much I can do re getting them to replace it. The parts they say need replacing are "Internal fault in Recirculation door and HVAC mode actuator" so it seems I need to replace the recirc door (which he showed me a picture of where the hinge snaps off) and the actuator thats faulty. I will try and make sure which actuator is faulty before I get the replacement and start tearing everthing apart. But from the sound it makes and the location it sounds like the bastard one up high on the drivers side. thanks for the tip in getting the right screwy for it.

4. cruelass

cruelass Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SS
    Well i just changed the faulty actuator . It took about an hour total and has fixed the problem. The actuator cost $29 and was a pretty straight forward job once you remove some dash panels. Considering Holden wanted $410 to do the job I think you would be mad to not change it yourself if you have the same problem.

5. Longman

Longman Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
    Hey, good to hear. Can you provide a bit more detail on the job? Were there any tricky bits? What exactly had to be removed? I think these answers would help a lot of people, given how common this issue is. Thanks mate.

6. cruelass

cruelass Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SS
    Yeah i actually took a few photos along the way. I also disconnected my battery for fear of wrecking something.
    . Ve underdash.jpg Heater duct.jpg Actuator in position.jpg Actuators.jpg Actuators together for alignment.jpg
    The installation is just in reverse. Just make sure to connect the 2 actuator arms together.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  7. Longman

Longman Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
    Excellnt, thanks!

8. MYVESSV8

MYVESSV8 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE 6LT M6
    I did mine on the other side of dash, one screw is a pain, need a little stumpy or right angle driver, $29 for actuator is a bit hexy, bought mine direct from holdens for $16 each

9. cruelass

cruelass Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SS
    I was quite surprised by the ease it is to change that one on the drivers side. I was prepared for major mission tearing heaps apart but once you get those couple of trims off its pretty straight forward. The top screw is a little tricky (like you were saying on the other side) and its a a awkward position to lay in but easy enough for any owner to do.
    I was more surprised that Holden want to rort to the tune of $410. $100 fair enough, $150 pricey...$410 robbery.

VTS5 likes this.
  10. Deeks

Deeks New Member

Members Ride:
    Sv6 2009 My 10
    hi guys,

Thanks for the information, this is so helpful. I have a sv6 MY10 2009 model that I will be doing this on my ute very soon.

11. Bec

Bec Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
    Thank you so much for this.

I have exactly the same problem, air coming from dash and windscreen but not feet, with the knocking noise when ignition is turned on. I tried the 'relearn' procedure this morning hoping that would fix it, but now I don't even get air coming out the dash, just the windscreen...

I'd already bought the actuator but even with the service manual I was wondering exactly how (and which one) needs replacing. This makes it so much clearer, I'll hopefully fix it today :)

12. Bec

Bec Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
    Fixed mine today, that top screw is an absolute pain! I also had to use a fair bit of force to remove the panels. I pulled apart the old actuator to see what was broken, the white cog is supposed to have 2 sets of plastic gears, the lower set of gears needed to turn the yellow cog had been completely stripped.

Part# if anyone's curious is 92192343, I paid $21 from a Holden dealer.

IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1168.JPG IMG_1180.JPG

13. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    That top screw is a Bi#tch good to hear fixed, such small $$$ for a big pain

14. Lowgz

Lowgz New Member

Members Ride:
    ve omega
    Anyone had a problem with not being able to change the temperature?

15. MYVESSV8

Members Ride:
    VE 6LT M6
    not known, do a google on the site

16. parkacru

parkacru New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 2010
    There's 4 same actuators and 1 different 1

17. DoMn8oR

DoMn8oR New Member

Members Ride:
    2010 SSv
    This helped me out a heap I think ( I hope). Is there a more detailed "How to" on this site? About this Topic?
    My Ve SSv just started blowing cold air to the passenger side and hot on the driver's.
    I did the reset by holding down the rear demist button.(when I do this it sound's like a stripped gear or broken) Now NO Vent's will open up !
    But when I first did it it did stop the cold air from the passenger side!
    Any help would be great!!!

Thanks.

18. MYVESSV8

Members Ride:
    VE 6LT M6
    haven't seen a how too, but one person did put up some pics earlier, google it here

19. DoMn8oR

DoMn8oR New Member

Members Ride:
    2010 SSv
    Could you tell us where they are located in the car and it's function?

Thanks

20. DoMn8oR

DoMn8oR New Member

Members Ride:
    2010 SSv
    Yeah that top screw! It's just a BIG F***en pain!
    Replaced mine today.
    I pulled apart my old actuator too, look's exactly the same!