Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HVAC actuator replacement.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I wonder if unplugging the HVAC module over night is enough to do a capacitor discharge and or reset it?
That might be worth a go. Easy enough to get to. Worst thing that can happen is it doesn’t reset it. Hasn’t cost any money.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Make sure you check all your doors to make sure they work properly. Holden does some high level shitfuckery with the HVAC system and if any fault is detected none of the system will work properly and it will default to hot.

I just replaced my recir door on the SSV last weekend because the star drive on the door had shattered so the actuator couldn’t actuate anything. The passengers side was stuck on hot and whenever you did the relearn procedure it wouldn’t get through the whole test before stopping.

It would be a lot easier if only the part that was broken stopped working but they have purposefully make the whole system crack a wobbly to make sure it’s not easy to diagnose.

Rhys Burrows

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 VE Series II Sedan
I don't get error codes showing anywhere, but would there be error codes an obd reader would still find in relation to hvac?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need a bi-directional high end scan tool. They can also allow a HVAC reset via the tool instead of the vehicle.

They will see codes you didn’t know existed.

Cheap scan tools don’t get much into the vehicles systems. Just read some codes and clear them. The basic stuff.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
JEEEESUS... Replacing that actuator can get fffd. But it fixed everything...! 5 Years of issues. Many issues. All fixed by replacing it.

Lucky I did it early morning while it was still cool and no sun
Which one did you have the pleasure of replacing? I removed them all one by one over a few weekends to try and figure out what the hell was going on.

Of course the recirc door actuator was the hardest one to get at so it was the last one I removed. When the shattered bits of gear fell out I knew what was going on. Then I had to leave my car in pieces for a couple of weeks until the new recir door turned up.

Removing the whole fan plenum is a massive job just to replace the recirc door and it could have been entirely avoided if Holden had made the bulkhead opening about an inch wider. If they would have done that you could replace the recirc door from the front by just removing the cabin filter holder.

Rhys Burrows

Reaction score
Members Ride
Which one did you have the pleasure of replacing? I removed them all one by one over a few weekends to try and figure out what the hell was going on.

Of course the recirc door actuator was the hardest one to get at so it was the last one I removed. When the shattered bits of gear fell out I knew what was going on. Then I had to leave my car in pieces for a couple of weeks until the new recir door turned up.

Removing the whole fan plenum is a massive job just to replace the recirc door and it could have been entirely avoided if Holden had made the bulkhead opening about an inch wider. If they would have done that you could replace the recirc door from the front by just removing the cabin filter holder.
I only ever looked at and thought about replacing the driver side one

It's fixed temperature issues, direction issues and stopped the fan from randomly going full blast to low or anything in between

About 3-4 years ago I had holden look at it twice and they just palmed me off and did nothing, while still charging a decent amount. The literally wrote on the service notes that it was user error selecting the wrong vent direction settings...

I didn't find the screws that hard to get in and out, as I used a 300mm felxible extension drill bit

I found it ridiculously hard to line up and insert the arm into the actuator at the right angle and then line up the screw holes

Rhys Burrows

Reaction score
Members Ride
Funnily enough, the removed actuator looks perfect fine inside and out

Also, I just plugged the new one in and left dangling to test. Just plugging in the new one without attaching the arm, fixed temperature issues and some directional. How the f

Rhys Burrows

Reaction score
Members Ride
After replacing the actuator, I thought I'd get a regas as it wasn't super cold. Barely room temp.

Turns out I need evaporator replacement...$2k haha

Yay

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
After replacing the actuator, I thought I'd get a regas as it wasn't super cold. Barely room temp.

Turns out I need evaporator replacement...$2k haha

Yay
Well no. Not anymore. @J_D 2.0 did it and documented how on YouTube.
The $2k is the labour to remove the dash and everything.

The Evaporator can be removed with minimal fuss from the side.