Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Illegal Lights..?

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
I thought you could actually use them whenever as long as you didn't have your headlights on at the same time.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I thought you could actually use them whenever as long as you didn't have your headlights on at the same time.

Its always been illegal! But most cops use discretion, and would only fine you if they dazzle other drivers. Unfortunately now, the law changed, so they're going all out with it!

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
'Dazzle'

lol

What happened to the word Blind?

I have been questioned about my foglights before after I was pulled over on Stud Road on my way back from work. I explained that I prefer to have them on sometimes even during a sunny day because other drivers are blind and stupid. Head checks, looking ahead of the road and factors that obscure driver vision like having GPS's on the top of the dash, HOLDEN or FORD on the top of windscreens, the entire hello kitty/garfield/sesame street puppet collection on the dash and back shelf and fluffy dice or dream catchers hanging off the mirror are the reason why I put all my lights on. The reason why motorcycles always have their low beams on, even during the day is because no one sees them due to the aforementioned reasons and the fact that out of the factory, low beam is hardwired on to the ignition for safety reasons. Motorcycle low beam lights have the same luminosity rating as my foglights, sometimes higher. As both a driver and rider, I fully well know what kind of killer is out there and I would rather have all my lights on and reduce the chance of not being seen than be another digit on the annual road toll.

I will admit some fog lights are very powerful, just as bright as high beams and they should be switched off in opposing traffic but there should be no reason why it should be illegal to have them on when weather conditions are fine. Mine are not that much brighter than low beam (even though foggies are directional ahead instead of low beam which is directional to the road). You get blind by getting high beamed from opposing traffic (which I'm all for being illegal of course) and staring at other people's lights (low-beam and low-med powered foggies)... well if you're stupid enough to do that, perhaps you shouldn't be driving!

It can be a grey area but the same reasons apply with other things like the loud exhaust on my bike and 'upgrading' the horn.

Some people are going to hate me which I don't give a flying... The point is my life is worth more than people's opinion.

As for the Five 0, most are nice and very mature for their roles. I have had the occasional Senior Constable abusing authority of power or infringing me over something trivial though i.e. quarter panel missing after driving back from mechanic for inspection. As a canary was carefully applied to the windscreen, I was asked what would happen if I hit a pedestrian on that side of the vehicle...

...wouldn't make that much of a difference, he'd still be a f..g mess :D

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dazzle is the legal term thats used.

MattB-05

SS_346+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute M6
'Dazzle'

lol

What happened to the word Blind?

I have been questioned about my foglights before after I was pulled over on Stud Road on my way back from work. I explained that I prefer to have them on sometimes even during a sunny day because other drivers are blind and stupid. Head checks, looking ahead of the road and factors that obscure driver vision like having GPS's on the top of the dash, HOLDEN or FORD on the top of windscreens, the entire hello kitty/garfield/sesame street puppet collection on the dash and back shelf and fluffy dice or dream catchers hanging off the mirror are the reason why I put all my lights on. The reason why motorcycles always have their low beams on, even during the day is because no one sees them due to the aforementioned reasons and the fact that out of the factory, low beam is hardwired on to the ignition for safety reasons. Motorcycle low beam lights have the same luminosity rating as my foglights, sometimes higher. As both a driver and rider, I fully well know what kind of killer is out there and I would rather have all my lights on and reduce the chance of not being seen than be another digit on the annual road toll.

I will admit some fog lights are very powerful, just as bright as high beams and they should be switched off in opposing traffic but there should be no reason why it should be illegal to have them on when weather conditions are fine. Mine are not that much brighter than low beam (even though foggies are directional ahead instead of low beam which is directional to the road). You get blind by getting high beamed from opposing traffic (which I'm all for being illegal of course) and staring at other people's lights (low-beam and low-med powered foggies)... well if you're stupid enough to do that, perhaps you shouldn't be driving!

It can be a grey area but the same reasons apply with other things like the loud exhaust on my bike and 'upgrading' the horn.

Some people are going to hate me which I don't give a flying... The point is my life is worth more than people's opinion.

As for the Five 0, most are nice and very mature for their roles. I have had the occasional Senior Constable abusing authority of power or infringing me over something trivial though i.e. quarter panel missing after driving back from mechanic for inspection. As a canary was carefully applied to the windscreen, I was asked what would happen if I hit a pedestrian on that side of the vehicle...

...wouldn't make that much of a difference, he'd still be a f..g mess :D

just a quick one... if you are so worried about someone not seeing you that u have your lights on during the day then why did u buy a BLACK ute..? Wouldn't a Red, Blue or Green be more eye catching..? :confused:

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Fog lights

Drivers can only use front fog lights in hazardous weather conditions. This brings the rule into line with the existing situation for rear fog lights. Use of fog lights in other conditions can dazzle oncoming drivers. Previously front fog lights that dazzled approaching drivers were dealt with as an offence under a different rule.

So whats the definition of hazardous driving conditions? With the plethora of ad's on telly from the LTSA these days I could be forgiven for thinking that night time was a hazardous driving condition. It's not in the law over here, and I can honestly say in the thousands of times I have passed cars coming the other way with foggies on I have NEVER been dazzled, blinded, discombobulated, stunned, maimed, killed, or annoyed by the foggies.

What useless piece of legislation will you occa's come up with next?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
just a quick one... if you are so worried about someone not seeing you that u have your lights on during the day then why did u buy a BLACK ute..? Wouldn't a Red, Blue or Green be more eye catching..? :confused:

My car is only available in black or white, and white is ****in ugly! I don't see the problem in making your car more visible to other drivers. Hell, why not get rid of people who pull out and say 'i didn't see you', then we wouldn't be discussing this!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
. .

MattB-05

SS_346+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute M6
For you it maybe different but A VE SS Ute is available in many colours thus no excuse. If black is wat u want then fine drive around all day long with your lights on...
I usually find that the SUN is enough for me lol... :)

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Well, according to UrbanDictionary:

Stealth

1. Military aircraft.
2. To move silently (aka. quite warfare). Commonly used by pedophiles to lure children as well as by outnumbered hobomen to kill attacking youth gangs.

Hobo 1: I killed a gang last night for fun.
Hobo 2: you inspired me, I think I will use stealth tonight as well to kill a youth gang.

So why did you get black again Stealthy? :whistling