Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE on the Cheap, Well Hope so

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Get that repairer to see the car to determine if his quote still stands, and if it does take it. Make no mistake, that is not a simple or basic repair job and at 2850, I'd be stoked.
Possible will do this but I dont trust them as down the bottom of the quote that have a Santa Claus where they will charge more if they find more damage. I told them the inner guard was damaged under the Plastic guard and he allow money to fix it.
Anyhow going for one more Quote this arvo as the one that accepted it has plenty of people in there office filing there nails so that can tell you what they quote

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
No repairer worth his salt would give a fixed estimate without actually seeing the damage first. His Santa Clause proviso is simply protecting his interests while being honest with you.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
No repairer worth his salt would give a fixed estimate without actually seeing the damage first. His Santa Clause proviso is simply protecting his interests while being honest with you.
Yes I totally agree and this is the hard bit about it as I'm not expected to take the car on a Trailer to different Panel beaters to get a quote. By tomorrow I will have a good view on different Panel Beaters and by this I will judge what is needed and what I need to do. Only 1 hour ago I went to my old Friend that has retired from Panel Beater because of illness and he showed my photo off cars that he fixed. Now most of them was rear quarters as this is the most difficult to fix. Now he had 3 photos of the same car 1/ The Smashed quarter (bad as my one) 2/ the Original Panel, Yes pulled, stretch or whatever he had to do so it looked good and it look 100% better 3/ Finished Product, A good looking panel, like new. If you saw the Photo's you would say he replaced the quarter but the second photo prove me wrong because i can see the Originality and where he did his work. I think he said used porto power + a Chain block to pull it out Ooch!!
The only thing that come to me after I saw the Photo's, I watched a show show on the US called Kindig Customs or show similar to this and they had a two door Pontiac with cave in quarter panel (big time caved in) and they did not replace it but they fixed it with minimum bog. yes Its probably the old steel but they still did it but if you can do this with the new steel well no one know this. Next time I see him I might ask this question as I forgot to ask him this.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I watched a show show on the US called Kindig Customs or show similar to this and they had a two door Pontiac with cave in quarter panel (big time caved in) and they did not replace it but they fixed it with minimum bog.

As in Monaro two door Pontiac ? I thought their side panels were same setup as VEs, but I could be completely wrong.
Car on trailer..... undriveable or unregistered ? Some of the quotes could be 'piss-off' quotes, ie, they don't want the job.
And as the el-cheap car is not your pristine pride and joy, does it really matter if the finished job is a bit dodgy, as long as it looks OK ?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
As in Monaro two door Pontiac ? I thought their side panels were same setup as VEs, but I could be completely wrong.
Car on trailer..... undriveable or unregistered ? Some of the quotes could be 'piss-off' quotes, ie, they don't want the job.
And as the el-cheap car is not your pristine pride and joy, does it really matter if the finished job is a bit dodgy, as long as it looks OK ?
Unregistered. The guy that owed the car was driving the car like this for 3 months until his wife spit up with him so since he bough the car for his wife she smashed it he took the car off her and sold it for nothing.
Yes I had 5 quotes so far and most off them were between $3900 to $4500 so that out of the question but did I give up NO so I found a OLD Unemployed Panel Beater with plenty of Tool (Not my friend as he is sick and Sick of Cars) so he looked at the car as he said its best to rip the panel off and get that New panel like on ebay for under $200 or get a donor Panel and we will go to the wrecking and cut it off (no Oxy as apparently this stuff the metal up) and he has a mate that spray cars at home but you have to get the car delivered as he live in the bush about 35 k away from my home.
Now after this I added the cost for both the unemployed panel beater and spaying the quarter panel and other and cost of the delivery to and back to our house and it will be less than half on the about average quotes. Now this good for me + I will be the Panel Beaters laborer and I will see how he does it as he said to me he has cut hundreds of quarter panel off and fitted NEW or used panels where he handed the cars to the Spray Painters.

The Only issue with all this will be the 4 time i need at transport and I found a another person than can deliver a car CHEAP!! YEAH!!

By the way two quotes were around $2800 but without PAINTING THE CAR!!!. Now the way I doing it is replace the panel, fit the new panel, re paint the panel and other, used bumper bar re paint that, used tail light, used plastic inner guard, use anything else needed. I will be with the car when he spray it on spray booth made of two 40 foot containers bolted together with the middle bit out. Cant wait until I see. I like people that uses their brain to do things.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

No the Pontiac was a earlier one not the re vamped Monaro as far as I know they have welded panels. Pity manufactures today have not got a system to unbolt the quarters on and off.
The panel beater said to me you wont pick the difference as you will be there when I do the work. The only issue we will have is the crumpled metal inner (above the Plastic ) guard that need to be manual panel beated but you wont see that after the car is finished.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have one GOOD quote so far from a reputable repairer To replace the the damaged panel with a new one but wont paint it nor fit anything ecept for the rear screen ., use The rack to squared the car, R and R the rear window and give me the car in undercoat its $2850. Now I think they quote high as they have not seen the car it self.
Yes I have done a REVs and repairable Write off check and the VIN and Number Plate said nothing found.
Get that repairer to see the car to determine if his quote still stands, and if it does take it. Make no mistake, that is not a simple or basic repair job and at 2850, I'd be stoked.
Well the VE is repaired and it look like NEW. We used a second hand quarter panel from a donor VE and everything else was scrapped from the wrecking yard so now for the next 3 days I will have a REST and on Monday I will Fit the Tail light, fit the b/bar, fit the Battery Cradle in, Fit new lugs that support the FAT Positive Battery Cable on the inner guard, fit a NEW Positive terminal to the existing Fusible link, tidy up in that area, and do everything that is needed.
The Paint job matched 99.8% to the rest of the car and I wished he keep going and sprayed the WHOLE FRIGGING CAR LOL.
I will put up some pic next week that after this I will change the rear shocks + the sway bar link pin front and rear (only one has a perished rubber but I will replace the lot as it looks good for inspection) I need to put a steering wheel cover as the original wheel is frayed up the top, Polish the Head lights, and anything else that is needed.
Time for a rest.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Who repaired it & what was the price for the repair & the rest of the work?
The bottom line? hahaha. thanks
Well and truly under $2000
I will be finishing the rest my self when it comes to the Battery, cradle, Battery Vapor tube, All electrics. If you want to do a Cheap job to save YOUR MONEY NOT THE BANKS MONEY my I suggest anyone to hang around Centrelink. there are very Good unemployed people there. Tomorrow is a day off for most so I waiting for another friend to help me as I only have two hands.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 4 photos of the original damage and the replaced Quarter Panel .

The original Damaged Quarter Panel

Looking to the rear

Looking to the front

Inside the Boot. More work to be done on Tuesday.