Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS ute on LPG?

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Either you have misquoted the tecchy, or he doesnt understand the difference between heat and temperature. Heat of combustion for butane is higher than propane per volume of liquefied gas........ There are many reasons as to why the car will run may run better on propane, more energy in the fuel isnt one of them.

Cats dont do anything to CO2, if they did the worlds climate problem would be solved, they only further oxidise CO and convert other nasties.

I didn't quote the techy hear nore my fitter were i get my L.P.G. is also a test depo for L.P.G. tanks and they pulled theinfo straight out of a specs book.
He was a macanic to so he told me this, he claimed that if you could increase cylinder temps the horse power would increase as well eg. hotter burning fuels

As you see from my replies i am new to the forum life so if you can explain how i can post a picture i will post the document in question

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
So you mean to tell me that you all talk of it being a performance fuel alternative and the vehicle made 6hp more, with a custom tune...........
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Please readcarefully before you laugh as the 6hp more is from ""YOUR QUOTE"" not mine i claim nothing as far as specifics so please read it again:whistling

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Please readcarefully before you laugh as the 6hp more is from ""YOUR QUOTE"" not mine i claim nothing as far as specifics so please read it again:whistling
I made the 6hp claim from the website posted.

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore

ok i haven't read it yet but i would say thats from multipoint VAPOUR injection is that correct??
mine is this type and car performance on the road is great but the newer better system out is a
multipoint LIQUID injection which is compleatly different to what i run and its not long out im talking a matter of weeks maybe a month

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore

Now im no techy so i will tell you what i was told in simple terms

The L.P.G. is injected directly (Like petrol) under a high pressure gas fuel pump and goes into the motor as liquid not gas it expandes (and hears were specs would help) by i think 200-300 times i think please correct me.
So more fuel goes in it also as it changes from liquid to gas it cools the intake manifold so increases the cold air induction, so more denser air comes in now im being asked to ask this question
What happens to a motor when you increase the fuel and air (via denser air)ratio going into the combustion chamber???

Now short of the question this is what i have been told about "LIQUID" gas injection

Please correct me if im wrong, it wouldn't be the first time!!

I have to head off but i will look forward to hearing responces tonight when i get home cheers

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
G'day commsirac i think the penny has dropped for me after this point(the quote below) you know that U.L.P. or liquid based fuels got left at the door for me??(They were not my focus)

I started talking about two distinct L.P.G. based fuels you knew that??

I do know what L.P.G. means to it is a patrolium based gas fuel under pressure to make it into its liquid state

The two distinct gas based fuels i refered to are
1 Automix
2 Propane
as i said U.L.P. got left at the door and it was between these to gas based fuels that I refered to the techy about

Now i could be wrong but I've only just twigged did you think by automix i ment U.L.P. (unleaded petrol or Liquid based fuels)????????

No, I referred to an lpg mix rather than straight propane......straight butane is unheard of as a auto fuel in this country, no your description of automix is fine, a blend of propane/butane which could be anywhere from 98%-~40 propane, typically 70/30- 60/40

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
No, I referred to an lpg mix rather than straight propane......straight butane is unheard of as a auto fuel in this country, no your description of automix is fine, a blend of propane/butane which could be anywhere from 98%-~40 propane, typically 70/30- 60/40

Well im sorry but straight propane is heard of as a auto fuel its not common but it is out there if you look.
Me i run straight propane in my car not automix my car tank has NO butane in it and most taxi depo's were they fill there cars also run straight propane.

I buy mine for at the moment 68cents per ltr

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Well im sorry but straight propane is heard of as a auto fuel its not common but it is out there if you look.

Nothing to be sorry about, .......read my post again.......carefully...........hope getting things back to front is not an underlying theme with your posts....:p

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Nothing to be sorry about, .......read my post again.......carefully...........hope getting things back to front is not an underlying theme with your posts....:p

""No far from it matey"" I did read it wrong i see now what you were trying to say.
BUTANE is unheard of in australia hope i got that right this time SORRY

I would love to learn how to post a photo please and i will put up the specs that i've been shown not as a na na look at this kind of thing but just to see what you make of it and to get your thoughts on what i've been told.

One thing i would love to get your thoughts on is how i came to believe what i have been told about auto mix gas to propane.
And its not to gain points in a argument or anything like that.

Now i used to own a Ford EF which had a ECU controlled venturi style L.P.G. system so on the air intake.
This car i used to run on auto mix so it was tuned to that gas it ran ok
When i changed to the straight Propane i got a slight increase in power nearly straght away along with a 35-40km more out of a 60ltr tank.

Now what they had said to me as an explanation to the increase was the higher octane ratings and added about the oil or tar in the butane which i was told the higher the butane the more tar going into the converter and as its heated it turns to cr_p in the converter.
Thats what i had based my thoughts on as far as the comparisons between the two L.P.G's
Now as i said earlier i have tested auto tanks admitadly i had no licence the boss did i was a monkey see monkey do tester but i had seen the oil in the auto mix bottles so this is why i believed them

Now i mentioned this only to let you understand the past history of myself which lead me to believe what i was told

What i would love your bead on is how the switch from auto mix L.P.G. to straight propane made such a difference to a car which was tuned to run on auto mix???
Once again this is not to discreded you this is to get a version from another prospective!!

Cheers

Last edited:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
""No far from it matey"" I did read it wrong i see now what you were trying to say.
Trying to say?....care to rephrase that please.

Still not sure where you want to go with all the ^. Either you have looked up the heat of combustion of propane and butane, or you havent......I could post you a link, but was hoping you could do that for yourself.
No one is arguing that an oil can be picked up in lpg supplies that can clog up a convertor, but typically this isnt in such large concentrations and it gets sucked through and burnt, Ive not experienced it in using lpg for the last 15 years. No one is arguing that a car cant be tuned to perform well on straight propane either. Im not sure as to why the oil is there or that it is only there if butane is, butane being higher molecular weight and also being more likely to be the proceeds of petroleum refining is the more likely of the two to carry the residues of crude oil. Im sure that if the refiners went to enough trouble they could get rid of it entirely, however, it would all add to the cost and if its kept to a low level causes no problems at all. Possibly youve got the wrong idea of how much oil there is from what is left over in domestic lpg bottles that have been filled with a mix and where the gas comes out of the top of the bottle leaving the residue to accumulate at the bottom with repeated cycles of use.

Re posting photos, you can attach pics in the box that appears below "additional options" when you post....havent tried it myself.

Last edited: