Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 3.8L S
Just bought a series 2 VE SV6 2012 Wagon from a dealer and I just have a couple of concerns, they provided a RWC but I'm not sure what the following may be:
-When doing a U-turn I get a creeky sound so I think there may be an oil leak in the steering rack?
-When the car starts up there's a noise that comes from the speedo like the there's a VHS (casete) being rewinded or something similar and lasts for about 2 minutes
-In the inside of the car when the radios off there's a noise of some sort which I can't really describe (can't hear it in other like cars), if I lift the bonnet no noise.. it's only inside the car. The noise comes and goes, is present both in drive or park.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Just bought a series 2 VE SV6 2012 Wagon from a dealer and I just have a couple of concerns, they provided a RWC but I'm not sure what the following may be:
-When doing a U-turn I get a creeky sound so I think there may be an oil leak in the steering rack?
-When the car starts up there's a noise that comes from the speedo like the there's a VHS (casete) being rewinded or something similar and lasts for about 2 minutes
-In the inside of the car when the radios off there's a noise of some sort which I can't really describe (can't hear it in other like cars), if I lift the bonnet no noise.. it's only inside the car. The noise comes and goes, is present both in drive or park.

I'm thinking that a creaking noise when you are on full steering lock is most likely struts. With the last noise you described with radio off, is it the same with radio on but volume turned right down? Any chance the noise comes from the speakers at all?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 3.8L S
Sorry should've clarified it makes the creaking sound when doing a U-turn prior to full lock as well as when it's fully locked.

Gave the radio recommendation a try but it doesn't appear that the sounds coming through the speakers.

Any thiughts in the noise coming from the speedo ?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I noticed on a few ve commodores that they have a noise from the power steering pump that seems to travel up the column. Mostly when idling and when you turn the wheel a fraction it will disappear for a few seconds. Mine does it and so does my works commodore.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 3.8L S
I noticed on a few ve commodores that they have a noise from the power steering pump that seems to travel up the column. Mostly when idling and when you turn the wheel a fraction it will disappear for a few seconds. Mine does it and so does my works commodore.
You were right about the noise and turning the wheel, is there a fix for that or is it normal ?

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Is there a cd loaded? Going to sound stupid, but the VHS cassette noise is more than likely a cd loading after the vehicles been turned on

bazz1961

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 series 2 sports wagon 3.6 sdi
no noise as described from mine ...