Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle speed sensor a

Smithky

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE/ 98VT
Hi all was driving to Albany yesterday and stopped for a break started the car and started to head off. I tried to activate cruise control but it would work it turned on but would not activate I did a diagnostic check and it gave me error code p0500 vehicle speed sensor a.. How do i fix

womble66

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE CALAIS V - V6
Hi Smithky, Did you ever get a diagnostic solution to your P0500 error code and the Cruise Control not activating? Have exactly the same thing over the last week on my VE Calais V. Cheers

womble66

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE CALAIS V - V6
Thanks. Tried a new battery but nit as lucky. Still get P0500 code with either "VSS circuit" or "Speed Sensor A Fault'.

Google doesn't provide any other clues so barring changing the harnesses, wheel & gearbox sensors it maybe off to the rorters.

Bit reluctant to do this as when it gives a MIL error it also flickers power for a fraction if a second which resets BT and Cruise just like if i turned it off and on again.

Not good and getting more regular.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
rear loom for the sensor is about $50 so not bad and this is a common fault,

womble66

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE CALAIS V - V6
Update for anyone that comes across this thread:

My P0500 code remained a constant issue however the electrical symptoms started to get worse and included:

* MIL Code P0500 - Speed Sensor error
* Cruise Control dis-engages - In conjunction with P0500
* Clicking from ECU - Front passenger kick panel
* Intermittent loss of 100% power for fraction of a second
* ABS Warning (no code)
* Dash/Lights flash
* Climate Control malfunction

So after months of putting up with it (spent 2 of them in the UK so didn't need car) and asking several Auto Electricians to look at it without luck (all said take it to Holden) I eventually found a guy that had a look and diagnosed it as a faulty BCM (Body Control Module) but advised it need to go to Holden with an estimate of between $1500-$2000 to fix as he did not have the tools to reprogram a new BCM.

With this knowledge I searched eBay and found a 2nd hand BCM (Must be same PN and colour code as current one) for $88 and also a Seller (delcode01) that offered a reprogramming service via return post for $115 so I pulled it out (s#!t job) and a week latter got back the reprogrammed one and then simply plugged it and all my previous issues have gone/fixed which confirms the BCM as the fault. The reason to re-program is to avoid having to use a different key and also the BCM needs to get loaded with your VIN and security key code.

So the lesson is that a fault may not be related to what the MIL Code indicates and if you ever get told you need to get a new BCM then the DIY option for $200 from eBay is a cheaper fix than paying for a Holden repair. Cheers.

Addie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
I have an 09 Ve omega 4 speed. The transmission was playing up really bad, slipping and clunking when changing gears. Took it to the mechanics and he said I needed to replace the vss output sensor and it was going to cost around $1500 because it was inside the gearbox. After a few hours or reading the repair manual we actually found out it's on the outside of the box. I replaced that and it's still changing a bit rough especially between 1&2 but it'll change fine when it's under load.. Anyone got a clue what's wrong? Also if anyone could point me to where the input vss location is would be great!