Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

(Very!) Curious about my car

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi all,

As some of you on the forum will have noticed, I'm very inquisitve about my VZ Commodore Executive and would like to know it inside-out. I have a few questions I'd like to ask, hopefully you can answer them :D

1. What does the PWR button do? I read it revises the shift-points of the transmission. So what does that mean? Under moderate acceleration it will shift to next gear at higher revs? What if, say, I floor it? Then whether PWR is on or off, it will shift at the red-line, in other words: no difference... am I right there?

2. I heard some guys here refering to the Blaupunkt headunit as junk. How can that be? After all, it is a Blaupunkt! So what are the flaws with this headunit and the speakers?

3. For the audio know-it-all's around here. I'm burning CD-R s to listen to in the car. I'm using Burrrn... what's the ideal burn speed? Can I simply add my flac files to the burn list and they will automatically be changed to wav? Is there any advice you can give me to burn my cds properly for best audio quality and compatibility? Are there any inexpensive upgrades I can do to get more decent sound quality?

4. Middle-East spec Commodores have a lot of safety features removed. I've got no airbags. Found out twice last week I've got no ABS, wheels locked. Someone please advise me on how to threshold brake or something similar before something bad happens. Note: now that I've got absolutely no safety features apart from seatbelts... well, how safe (or unsafe) am I?

5. I know I've inquired on this quite a few times, but I'm still looking to replace the Chev badges on my car with Holden ones. Anyone got them? I'm in the Middle-East, that's why they're badged here as Chev :bang:

Thanks in advance. Wil inquire more when I think of more things heehee :D :idea3:

Last edited:

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I will answer what I can.

2. The headunit is classed as junk, atleast in my opinion because of the inability to play MP3's, lack of stock USB/AUX input. And at high sound levels it distorts like no other. I have used a 3SIXTY2 on mine before running Type G's and the sound quality was still lacking, but as soon as I upgraded to a medium level headunit I noticed massive improvements. (Yes I was running an amp, 800w 4-channel).

3. The slower the speed the better the quality can be, the higher the speed the higher the chance of flaws. That said you do need to make them into 'proper' cds, I was using Nero and Windows Media Player and there was no difference. That said the cheapest upgrade that will give you quality simply is, a new headunit. You can buy fascia kits, plugs and antenna adapter so all you need to do it basically plug and play.

4. Commodores are pretty strong in their build that can by your ally and enemy in a crash. But the end of the day your only as safe as you drive. If your doing 140km/h down a winding road airbags will make little difference in my opinion.

5. I can check my Holden Dealer and see if they have any, I have the VZ Crewman but I think the grille and badge suit the Commodores. If they do I can sell you mine and get new ones and paint the new ones up.

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
I will answer what I can.

2. The headunit is classed as junk, atleast in my opinion because of the inability to play MP3's, lack of stock USB/AUX input. And at high sound levels it distorts like no other. I have used a 3SIXTY2 on mine before running Type G's and the sound quality was still lacking, but as soon as I upgraded to a medium level headunit I noticed massive improvements. (Yes I was running an amp, 800w 4-channel).

3. The slower the speed the better the quality can be, the higher the speed the higher the chance of flaws. That said you do need to make them into 'proper' cds, I was using Nero and Windows Media Player and there was no difference. That said the cheapest upgrade that will give you quality simply is, a new headunit. You can buy fascia kits, plugs and antenna adapter so all you need to do it basically plug and play.

4. Commodores are pretty strong in their build that can by your ally and enemy in a crash. But the end of the day your only as safe as you drive. If your doing 140km/h down a winding road airbags will make little difference in my opinion.

5. I can check my Holden Dealer and see if they have any, I have the VZ Crewman but I think the grille and badge suit the Commodores. If they do I can sell you mine and get new ones and paint the new ones up.

2. I would have disagree, I love my head unit. So easy to get in and out, Plus with Gregs upgrade, I don't need MP3's with my iPhone. How ever, I would love to upgrade the speakers as they don't keep up with the loudness of the sub. I have never had any problems with my Head Unit.

Now Number 1. The power button. You pretty much answered it. If it is on, It will kick back gears to get the car moving. under 58 KPH, it will kick back to 1st and go all the way to 83 KPH. Where as in normal mode, I think you need to be about under 50 to get it to go back to first. I did also read that if the power button is on, It won't go into over drive ( 4th ) But mine does.
Normal shifts earlier, PWR holds the gear, shifts a bit harder kicks back gears more often.

Other wise everything else this guy says is true in my eyes. It's just a car if its a v6. Its when you get the v8 they come to life.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
1. What does the PWR button do? I read it revises the shift-points of the transmission. So what does that mean? Under moderate acceleration it will shift to next gear at higher revs? What if, say, I floor it? Then whether PWR is on or off, it will shift at the red-line, in other words: no difference... am I right there?

***Puts the transmission into a smooth, no-slip mode. Shifts are barely detectable, smoother and faster (in normal mode the transmission can be a little jerky if too much pedal application, but it will adapt to driving style and smooth out). Fuel economy will suffer slightly in PWR mode. It's used in hilly country or when towing. Why would you want to floor it, or move it to the red line? Especially with the lack of airbags and ABS features!? What do you hope to achieve by that?? Note that in cruise control (probably doesn't have that), neither PWR or normal / [D] transmission is used, but a specific program optimised to cruise conditions.

2. I heard some guys here refering to the Blaupunkt headunit as junk. How can that be? After all, it is a Blaupunkt! So what are the flaws with this headunit and the speakers?
*** That's not the view I have. It's a very good unit for a base model car. The head unit is also available as a 6-stack CD player. "Flaws" and "speakers" are subjective and irrelevant. If you want a ghetto-blaster, the 'punkt isn't one. :)

3. For the audio know-it-all's around here. I'm burning CD-R s to listen to in the car. I'm using Burrrn... what's the ideal burn speed? Can I simply add my flac files to the burn list and they will automatically be changed to wav? Is there any advice you can give me to burn my cds properly for best audio quality and compatibility? Are there any inexpensive upgrades I can do to get more decent sound quality?

4. Middle-East spec Commodores have a lot of safety features removed. I've got no airbags. Found out twice last week I've got no ABS, wheels locked. Someone please advise me on how to threshold brake or something similar before something bad happens. Note: now that I've got absolutely no safety features apart from seatbelts... well, how safe (or unsafe) am I?
*** Seems the middle east doesn't put safety on the roads as a first priority. ABS and electronic brake force distribution both work together to bring the vehicle to a controlled stop in many common emergency situations without wheel lock, spin or fly-off (from straight ahead to either side). Airbags are an essential feature in passenger vehicles at least in Australia. Export/licensing probably necessitates the omission of these items from your car. Maybe keep to 50km/h on the roads around where you are...

5. I know I've inquired on this quite a few times, but I'm still looking to replace the Chev badges on my car with Holden ones. Anyone got them? I'm in the Middle-East, that's why they're badged here as Chev

***They badge Holdens as Chevs!? Very funny. Replacement badges can be found on eBay.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
1. Why would you want to floor it, or move it to the red line? Especially with the lack of airbags and ABS features!? What do you hope to achieve by that?? Note that in cruise control (probably doesn't have that), neither PWR or normal / [D] transmission is used, but a specific program optimised to cruise conditions..

Why have a V6 If u don't tow. Might as well have a 1.6 Getz. Even better, trucks usually use straight 6's, more torque, less maintenance, so why have a V8? FUN MATE!!! Besides, its been proven, you only have to go 12km/h do be killed in a crash against a wall. Why ruin your drive because your car is only as safe a half the cars on the road? My last car had no ABS, no airbags, brakes were weak, and it had no power to overtake, still got to 150km/h.

cavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
Answer to question 4. You're only as safe as your own driving ability. If you can't confidently drive a Commy to within it's limit and have to rely on ABS brakes then you probably shouldn't own a Holden (buy a Volvo instead). I have been driving for years and have never had to rely on ABS brakes to stop quickly (well maybe I could have done with it a couple of times in my over exuberant unskilled youth). You very rarely see race cars with ABS brakes. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, just go somewhere quiet and practice stopping quickly without locking your brakes up. It's a good skill to have.
It's really only in the wet that you may need them in an emergency and from my understanding, it doesn't rain much in the Middle East.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I just want to know how he found out it has no airbags...... Twice!

Reaper

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Answer to question 4. You're only as safe as your own driving ability. If you can't confidently drive a Commy to within it's limit and have to rely on ABS brakes then you probably shouldn't own a Holden (buy a Volvo instead). I have been driving for years and have never had to rely on ABS brakes to stop quickly (well maybe I could have done with it a couple of times in my over exuberant unskilled youth). You very rarely see race cars with ABS brakes. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, just go somewhere quiet and practice stopping quickly without locking your brakes up. It's a good skill to have.
It's really only in the wet that you may need them in an emergency and from my understanding, it doesn't rain much in the Middle East.

I have used my ABS a few times during the wet season when people decide that giving way or common sense is something they dont need to do. As much as you should learn to drive without it, it is always good to know if things go wrong you have something you can rely on.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I just want to know how he found out it has no airbags...... Twice!

Reaper

Correction there, I said I found out twice that I had no ABS when my wheels locked, and yes it was a rainy day. The passenger visor mirror has a note on it stating that the car does not have a passenger airbag. Steering wheel does not have "SRS Airbag" engraved on the bottom.