Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vf 6.0 oil consumtion

brian church

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ssv redline
Hi My Vf has 6500ks now on the clock oil was changed at 2800 I have noted oil is down to just below the crosshatched mark but the manual indicates the low mark is the next hole below does this sound correct?
Has anyone else noted oil use like this?
and the lifter tick noise is apparent in mine worse when hot is this acceptable? I took it back to the dealer after the first service/oil change they said its normal typical

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Im guessing your VF is an auto? If so, common problem regarding the lifting ticking noise (well common in VE 6.0L's anyway, don't see why the VF would be any different)

Does the ticking noise only appear during the first 5-10 mins from startup?

Search AFM lifter under the VE section & you shall find a thread that does this issue to death!

As for a solution, it's a fairly expensive & labour intensive job for Holden to do - I've mentioned it to them every time my VE's been in for a service & I get the response 'It's within tolerance' - Within tolerance means that there is an issue, just not to the point where it's a problem & requires attention

Just keep getting them to note it on the service invoice each time - That way if the motor does go bang down the track, you can produce evidence to say that it has been a historical issue

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Im guessing your VF is an auto? If so, common problem regarding the lifting ticking noise (well common in VE 6.0L's anyway, don't see why the VF would be any different)

Does the ticking noise only appear during the first 5-10 mins from startup?

Search AFM lifter under the VE section & you shall find a thread that does this issue to death!

As for a solution, it's a fairly expensive & labour intensive job for Holden to do - I've mentioned it to them every time my VE's been in for a service & I get the response 'It's within tolerance' - Within tolerance means that there is an issue, just not to the point where it's a problem & requires attention

Just keep getting them to note it on the service invoice each time - That way if the motor does go bang down the track, you can produce evidence to say that it has been a historical issue

It definitely will go bang somewhere down the track if not dealt with, but not from AFM deac lifter failure over non-deac in an L77 (BTW all V8 models have deac lifters now). There is something up with the engine by the sounds, we have no idea without video, but don't be swayed by the ghosts of lifters past.

GM won't officially consider oil consumption issues until after its run-in and parts bedded at 10,000 km. But they may ask you to keep an eye on it. You can find eligibility criteria for noise complaints and oil consumption online, bottom line is you need a rapport with the local or original Holden sales / service people as GM legal criteria is hardly acceptable, but legal in the US. We have different consumer laws though.

Take a video and document your observations to give us something to go by and send you back to Holden with some real ammo. Also check your oil after 15 mins of driving at operating temp, with engine off.

Last edited: